CHAPTER 48- What the actual fuck is going on?

Start from the beginning

"Don't come near, stay away from me Arjun." I say with my voice on the verge of breaking.

"Why?" he whispered.

I sighed.

"You'll not sign them until I tell you the truth will you?" I ask gulping and preparing myself to tell the biggest lie I have ever told.

"Yes," he nodded as his face lit up with a little faith.

Taking a deep breath, I opened my mouth to speak but no words came out.

He waited while I tried speaking.

He just shook his head.

"See, you don't have a valid reason for all this non-" he started speaking and walking at the same time.

"I don't love you anymore." I choked out.

He halted in place while his face went from confusion to shock to disbelief.

"Your lying," he uttered.

"I'm not, I don't love you anymore Arjun. I never did and I will never be able to so please...just let me go." I exhaled and closed my eyes.

I am so so sorry Arjun, I honestly don't have a choice.

I'm so sorry.

"You don't mean that." he stated.

"I do," I whisper keeping my eyes fixed on my table behind him.

"If you mean that, you wouldn't be avoiding eye contact like you are right now." he came forward and stopped a foot away from me.

I released a breath and closed my eyes.

I can do it, come on Ninu.

Slowly meeting his eyes, I say in a hard tone.

"I don't love you, never did so please sign the paper and leave." hopefully he'll believe me now and go.

Please do it Arjun, I beg of you.

It broke my heart to see his face which clearly resembled pain.

"So all this was a lie?" he asked gesturing between us.

I shook my head.

"No," I smiled unconsciously remembering everything he ever did for me and continued.

"I do love you Arjun but not the way you want me to. I never did and I never can. I love you as my friend, someone who unknowingly helped me in one of my darkest phases and by getting me out of that so-called house of mine and I cannot be anymore grateful to you. 
You are honestly the most trustworthy and caring person I have met, who stayed.-" confusion crawled on his face but I continued.
"- You saw me at my weakest and helped me, not everyone would do that for me. You knew when and what I needed and always made sure I got it no matter what. After so long I felt loved and special. You were the one person I opened up to so easily other than Kajol, you managed to let me feel everything I ever wanted."

"So why are you doing all this?" he cut off with a desperate tone.

"Because its always you doing it for me. I've never done anything for you. All I ever did was take your advantage because that's who I am, a selfish and self-centered person who cares of no one but herself. Its always been you giving me your everything while me? I just took them all without hesitation and never bothered to return them back.
You don't deserve me, you deserve someone way way better than me because you are a good person while I'm not. You need someone who can return you all the warmth and love you provide her. You need someone who knows how to comfort you when you need it, who knows what you need just by a look on your face. Someone who can protect you as well, be there for you, help you when you need her. I won't do any of that and I admit it. That is who I am, I never help others, I take their help and leave when they are of no more use for me.
That is who I was, who I am and will be forever and there is no chance of me changing even the slightest.
I don't want you suffering later because of me. This was never a happy marriage Arjun, you think I agreed for you or mom or dad or Annie? No, I agreed so that you won't end up destroying my mom or dad or me for that matter. The power you hold is immense so I was scared of how you would twist that power of yours and use it against us. No matter how bad my parents are or how they treat me, they are still my parents who gave me food and shelter, so I will go to any lengths to repay all that." I finally finish and now all his face shows is betrayal.