Cat!Max

Shapeshifting; the ability to physically transform yourself.

Changing form to an animal, or spirit animal, was normal, however, it was normal that the animal grew along over the years. There are only two exceptions where the spirit animal did not grow with age, childhood trauma or if someone was mentally handicapped. The older someone got the less they used their spirit animal.

Max Verstappen found out during his childhood that his cat did not grow with him. Every time he shapeshifted it remained a kitten. It was one of the reasons his mother was trying to get custody over Max, but the only thing Max wanted to do was race.

Max never talked about why he remained a kitten. Sophie was sure it had to do with his father but didn't ask.

Every now and then the whole grid showed his spirit animal to each other or after a horrible race in a big hug group. Max, on the other hand, had never shifted in front of other people. It's not that Max didn't want to, but he just didn't want others to ask questions or find out he was still a kitten.

Max needed his cat form a lot. He slept better and was able to express his emotions better in it.

It was after a bad race that Max found himself in cat form. He slowly walked out of his driver's room and went to the tire blankets. They were still warm around this time after the race, and it was Max's favorite spot. The red bull team always left the tire blankets in a corner of the garage where hardly anyone walked, especially the media never came, and Max took advantage of them.

Max curled up with his tail almost in his face. His kitten form wasn't bigger than a 3–4-month-old kitten. He hated it. It didn't take long before Max was asleep on the warm blankets.

Checo decided to help the team break down after the race. The garage doors were locked so no one could see in. Checo's side was almost empty, and his team started to help clear Max's side. One of the mechanics asked Checo to get the tire blankets. Checo went to the corner of the garage where he saw them and wanted to pick them up. It wasn't until he looked closely that he saw a little orange kitten lying between the covers.

Checo's first thoughts were that the kitten must have slipped in before the screens were placed. However, when he looked again, he saw that the kitten could have easily crawled under it. Checo turned to ask what to do when he saw Christian come in.

"Has anyone seen Max?" He looked around but all the mechanics shook their heads or said no. "Checo?" Christian looked at him hopefully.

"Uh no, I just found a kitten here?"

Christian's eyes widened before showing a small smile. Christian was one of the only ones in red bull who knew what Max's spirit animal was as it was the rule of the Fia that the team bosses knew. Besides Christian, his trainer Bradley knew and that was it.

"Ah yeah, that's mine," Christian muttered as he walked towards the kitten. Christian picked it up to the amazement of the kitten who was awakened by this. Max who was in total shock completely stiffed by it. He couldn't have someone see him. Christian who realized Max started to panic quickly whispered to him. "Sshht, it's just me."

Max directly relaxed into Christian his arms. After a bad race and he didn't know what to do with his emotions he went to Christian to get much-needed cuddles. When Max was tired, he would just find a secluded spot in the paddock. He was truly happy no one else found out yet.

Christian carefully walked back to his office making sure to cuddle Max close to him. He sat down on the office chair with Max in his lap. "You need to be more careful if you don't want anyone to find out. They will recognize you're staying a kitten," Christian was talking in a whisper to Max not wanting anyone to hear the conversation. Max only purred still close to falling asleep and it didn't take long before Max closed his eyes again.