Chapter 16 - A Stressful Time of Year

A Stressful Time of Year

The next morning Harry was awoken by Ron rudely throwing open his curtains and whistling loudly in his ear. Harry sat bolt upright, looking around, and found Ron, stifling back his laughter.

Harry put on his glasses and grumpily got out of bed. He hadn't gotten to bed till three o'clock that morning and now he was paying for it.

"Get dressed, sleepy head!" Ron said in an awfully loud, cheery voice. "You wouldn't want to miss your first day back now, would you?"

Harry scowled at Ron as he pulled on his robes.

Five minutes later they were waiting at the bottom of the stairs to the girl's dormitories when they heard, "No, Hermione! I don't want breakfast! Let me sleep!" and plenty more screaming to follow.

Hermione came down the steps, dragging Ginny along with all her strength, "Come on now, Ginny! Let's go!"

With one more mighty tug Hermione flung Ginny down the steps and right into Harry's arms.

Ginny didn't move, leaning limply against Harry, using him for support. Her hair was falling out of her ponytail, most of it covering her face, it flew in all directions as she shook it out of her halfway closed eyes.

She scowled at Ron. "Say one thing," she said crossly poking him in the chest, "and I'll hex you into a million pieces."

Hermione took Ginny's arm and pulled her through the portrait hole. Ron shoved Harry through and followed himself.

They met Sheldon Radcliff at breakfast and together they sat at the Hufflepuff table. Ginny's head kept falling onto Harry's shoulder every few minutes until she shook herself awake.

"How late were you guys up last night, anyway?" Ron asked.

"Oh, we were in bed by seven o'clock last night, Ronald," Ginny said in the lofty tone she used when she aimed to wound.

Ron was about to retort when a voice called, "Ginny! Ginny!" Michael Corner was hurrying over to their table.

Harry felt instantly wide awake and clenched his fists.

"Make yourself useful, Michael, and get away from me," Ginny said, not even looking up at him, but busying herself with her hash browns.

"Sorry, but–"

"She said scram, Corner," Harry growled.

Michael smirked. "Sorry Potter, it's Head Boy and Girl stuff, you wouldn't understand," he sneered.

He seemed to thoroughly enjoy this advantage he had over Harry.

Harry got to his feet. Ginny jumped up too. "No, Harry," she said, her hands on his chest, "it's fine. I'll see you in Charms, save me a seat." She stood on her tiptoes and kissed him deeply and slowly.

When she pulled away Harry saw Michael's stunned face and Harry grinned from ear to ear. Ginny smirked and walked away, staying as far as possible from Michael as they walked between the tables.

"Whoa," Sheldon said as Harry sat back down.

Harry grinned, and politely asked the three of them if they'd like any marmalade.

(-):(-):(-)

Harry and Ginny sat together during Charms class and spent a lot of the time, despite Professor Flitwick's furtive glares, talking about anything and everything.

Halfway through the class, there was a knock at the door.

"Sorry, Professor. Ginny and I have some Head business to attend to," said Michael Corner from the doorway.