Chapter 2

(Atia's POV)

I sat down in one of the seats, leaning back against the uncomfortable seats. The woman stood on the stage, and I was sitting next to the three boys, Mickey on my other side.

I looked over at the eldest of the boys, who was slightly taller than me. He had a sharp, angular face and close cropped black hair. He wore a leather jacket and dark jeans. He looked over and I felt a chill.

His eyes were so blue they seemed to pierce my soul. They stared into my being, digging up my secrets.

He looked my up and down, sizing me up. I did the same.

When our eyes met, our gazes locked, each of us peering into the inner workings of the other's head.

Then he broke away and ruined the image.

"Nine Doctor," he said shortly.

"Atia Kendall," I replied just as sharply.

An emotion flickered across his face.

Was that...surprise?

I internally smirked, keeping my face passive and neutral.

I saw the two other look over. They looked nothing like him, but I assumed they were at least cousins, if not brothers.

The youngest beamed at me, his green eyes flashing brightly.

"Eleven Doctor," he whispered. I smiled back, my heart warmed by this eager boy only about a year younger than myself.

Nine and Eleven's brother stared fixedly at the stage, effectively ignoring me. I turned to look and saw the woman had finally started to speak.

"My name is Admiral Doctor, and I have some grave news," she said, her face severe. "This planet is under attack."

I jolted and saw the rest of the school do the same. The woman had all of our attentions now.

A bit further down on my left, a boy named Kale snorted. I glared at him, and he fell silent.

"You all will play a role in this," she said. "You will be divided into training teams and, well, trained." I frowned. Why us? We were high schoolers. Not solders.

"You are doing this because adults are needed to watch future generations."

I grimaced and sighed. I would have to deal with it.

My life was changing.

I just never realized how much it would change.