Fourteen \\ A Little Toasty

Start from the beginning

"Well they should be gone," Derek replied.

"I was set on fire," Parrish said. "All of me should be gone."

"Not," Koda said, arms loosely crossed below her chest, "if you're like us."

The deputy was growing even more confused, "Like you?"

"I don't think he's like us," Derek interviened, looking to both Koda and Scott.

"Then what is he?" Lydia asked, intruiged.

"Sorry, but I have no idea."

"But you knew about Jackson and Kira," Scott said, hoping they could solve Jordan's mystery.

"This is a little out of my experience," Derek admitted. "There might be something in the beastiary. Did you try Argent?"

"I don't know where he is," Scott said with a soft shake of his head.

So many new words had hit the deputy. "Okay, hold on. What's a beastiary? Actually, that's not even my first question. Just...just tell me one thing. Are you all like Lydia? Are you all psychic?"

Dakoda lifted an eyebrow, "Psychic?"

Scott replied once Parrish agreed, "Not exactly."

"Okay, then," he almost looked like he didn't want to know, what are you?"

Dakoda and Scott both exchanged glances before angling towards Parrish. Each closing their eyes, they reopened in new colours.

"Jesus-"

And then they tried to explain everything.

\\

"What's a kanima?"

"We'll get back to that." Scott came over to the sofa Jordan was on and sat on the arm. "Just know, that everyone like us, everyone with some kind of supernatural ability, is on the deadpool."

Jordan was still trying to process, "But I don't even know what I am."

"I'm pretty sure they don't care," Koda said, speaking out of personal experience.

"How many assassins are we talking about?" Jordan asked, looking from Dakoda to Derek.

Lydia was lightly pacing, "We're starting to lose count."

"But," Scott put in, "is it still just professionals?"

"I don't think Haigh's ever tried anything like this. I think he was taking a chance."

"Well that means anyone with the deadpool can take a chance," Derek said, his arms crossed.

"But if Haigh had it, then who else does?" Parrish seemed to be taking it fairly well. "How easy is it to get this thing now?"

There seemed to be a dismal realization that you could get it anywhere.

To follow, Lydia had a story to tell.

"Meredith was only at my grandmother's lakehouse once, but I think once was enough."

Derek was leaned against a banister, "How'd your grandmother know her?"

"She didn't," Lydia replied. "She found her. Because of another woman named Maddy. The woman she loved." She stood from the edge of Derek's bed, holding a picture in her hands. She handed it to Scott, "I never met her, but I saw her name everywhere. She used to be part of a yacht racing team. There were plaques and trophies in the lake house of all the ragattas she'd won."