Chapter Four

Chapter Four

    "Aquila?" I asked, dumbfounded. "Like the constellation?"

     He nodded. I stared at him, jaw dropped. My day was getting weirder and weirder. First the dream foretelling a future war and ending with sending Aquila to search for someone. Second, this gorgeous new student sitting in front of me, saying his name is Aquila. AND he was taking Greek mythology. It was probably all a coincidence but the sequence of events was just too strange.

    Fingers snapped in front of my face, drawing me from my daze, "Carter? Are you okay? You left me for a minute there."

    "I'm fine. Question for you though, how did I get to the infirmary?" I asked Aquila.

     "Well," he started, hooking his feet on the bottom of the stool. "Mrs. Tillman and I heard a crash and then you were lying on the ground unconscious. While she was calling the infirmary to give them a heads up that you on your way, I carried you here."

     "Oh, thanks." I squeaked out, my cheeks warming. I was sure they were turning red.

     "It was my pleasure. You are actually quite light."

     As soon as that comment was out of his lips, my face was engulfed in a flame of embarrassment. Although, before I could think of anything to say in reply, a mini torpedo of red knocked me into the pillows.

     The torpedo turned into a bear as they gave me a massive hug, "oh my goodness, Carter! Are you okay? I heard what happened and I ran here the second I was dismissed!"

     "I will be okay once I can get oxygen into my lungs," I gasped through Rose's smothering worry.

     "Sorry," she sat up, pulling me with her. Once we were both seated, her sitting on my legs for they were stretched out, and because of the lack of room. "Now that you can breathe, are you okay?"

     I nodded and was attacked by the bear again. When I looked over Rose's shoulder, I saw Aquila looking at us, his eyebrow quirked.

     I smiled then detached Rose saying, "Rose, there's someone I want you to meet."

     Waiting a minute for my friend to turn, I introduced the two, "Rose, this is Aquila. Aquila, my friend Rose."

     "It's good to meet you. Aquila, that's different name, what does it mean?" Rose said, reaching out to shake his hand.

     "Nice to meet you as well, Rose." Aquila said politely. "It means eagle."

     Withdrawing her hand, Rose looked at me and wiggled her eyebrows. I rolled my eyes and shook my head. The look she gave me I knew well.

     Unaware of the silent talk Rose and I just had, Aquila asked, "so, Carter, how did you fall? You must have hit your head hard because you were out the entire class."

     "That remains a mystery. It's been a very clumsy day." I replied with a shrug. "Wait a second, I was out for an entire class?"

     I got two nods in answer. Running a hand through my hair, I said, "oh goodness. How is that even possible? I don't think I hit my head that hard."

     Before anyone could answer, a heavy set Mrs. Willow came bustling from her office. "Oh! Good, you're awake!" She exclaimed happily.

     Once by my bed, she began checking my vital systems. Checking my eyesight, balance, making sure my head wasn't bruising. Although when it came time to check my balance, she gave Rose a death glare that had her fleeing out the door.

     Just before leaving the room, she called, "I'll meet you in the dorm. Be sure to pass those tests Carter!"

     "You can go too, Aquila." I said with a shake of my head.

     His simple reply was, "I'll stay,"

     "Are you finished, Miss Ryer?" I nodded. "Good. Now would you please stand so we can finish up and you may leave."

     Without another word, I slid from the mattress and to my feet, waiting as Mrs. Willow did her check up. After a few tests, she gave me a pat on the shoulder and ushered Aquila, who had been waiting patiently, and I out into the hallway.

     "Thank you for waiting, Aquila." I said as we began walking. "You know you didn't have to."

     With a shrug he answered, "That doesn't mean I didn't want to."

     "Oh."

     A silence passed between us, neither awkward nor pleasant rather something between. The silence continued until I stopped us at my dorm.

     "Is this your dorm?"

     I nodded. "Thanks for walking me."

     Aquila flashed a dazzling smile. A smile that seemed to chase away all my words and with them, my breath. "So, um, well, bye."

     With a small wave a quickly darted into the dorm before he had a chance to do anything but raise a hand. Once the door was closed, I sighed and pressed my back against it. After a few seconds, I heard footsteps walking away and whistling, the tune joyful but hiding an element of mystery.

     "Eek! Carter," A squeal came from inside the room. Rolling my eyes, I looked to see Rose doing a little dance that looked a bit like a spasm. "Do you like him? I think he likes you! You guys would make the cutest couple!"

     Pushing away from the door, I replied, "oh Rose. Your always like this you know? But no I don't like him, and he doesn't like me. We've only known each other for about an hour."

     "He's gorgeous though! Mm, damn. True, but did you notice the way he stayed with you? That has crush written all over it!"

     "Hey now, I never said that he wasn't gorgeous. I just said I didn't like him. I don't know him well enough yet. That could just mean he's a nice guy Rose." I sighed, flopping down onto my bed.

     "But, Carter," Rose started to say.

     With a shake of my head, I said, "Rose, no. If you'd like we can talk about this later. This day has really kicked me in the butt and I'm tired. Now, please, let me sleep."

     "Fine." she said, exasperated. "But I'm going to supper."

     With a flip of her fiery hair, Rose skipped out of the dorm. Almost the second the door shut, so did my eyes and I was out in an instant.

--§--

A/N

Wow. This chapter took forever to write. I am so sorry for the wait. My schedule has been crazy busy, as is the life of a teenager. Anyways, I hope you enjoyed and am going to try to get the next chapter up as soon as I can. Ta-ta for now my readers