Chapter Two

Chapter Two

     "There is a war brewing. I can feel it in my bones," Zeus, the mighty God of the skies and ruler of Olympia declared.

     The quarreling Olympians of the court instantly hushed. "Zeus," the Goddess Aphrodite questioned. "How can you be sure of this. A war? There is no threat of war. All the worlds are at peace. Besides, the last war we had was over two thousand centuries ago."

     "Aphrodite! Were you not just involved with the row the council had? Just moments ago all the gods were yelling at each other. It was no friendly debate either. I feel the worlds becoming restless, our world and the one of man. One may rest in peace for only so long."

     The Gods and Goddesses were silent. Minutes passed before Athena, the goddess of wisdom, spoke, "You may be correct. Looking back on this disagreement that we have had, I now see that it was foolish and it is these silly arguments that will be our downfall. We argue about what to do with Hades rebellious behaviour. If we can't control our anger when we speak then Hades may be able to over throw us. We need to find a way to smooth the feathers of anger and become peaceful."

     "Your words hold true as always, Athena. Do you, perchance, have an idea as to how to settle this?" Addressing the rest of the council, Zeus said, "We need a solution to present itself quickly. Every idea is helpful."

     A roar of voices as loud as Posiedon's waves crashing upon rocks rose up. In silence, Zeus sat heavily on his golden throne. Will there be no end to the fighting? How is it possible to fight about preventing fighting? He thought in despair.

     "Hush. Everyone settle down." Hestia's, Zeus's sister's, calm voice rose above the shouting. "How are we possibly going to solve this fighting if we fight while doing it? Let us take turns. We will start with Poseidon and go around the council till Zeus. You do not speak unless spoken to or you have the floor."

     Ah, Hestia. At times it is like that woman can read my mind!

     With a nod, Poseidon began, "I feel that Zeus may be right. Although as of this moment I do not know what we can do to fix this. Athena, you can proceed."

     "I've been thinking. Every war in our past we have found a way to come through successful. Every time we have had the help of outsiders, mortals, and our own demigod children." Athena stated, speaking slowly as if to gather her thoughts. "We need one them to be a mediator. We need a way to find someone who understands out history and can stand up to us in order to keep a peace."

     She then looked to Zeus, "I think it may be time for you to call upon Aquila once again."

--§--

     I jolted awake, gasping. My limbs were shaking and fear took control of my body. Breath wouldn't come. I was having a panic attack. All I could do was grip the sheets of my bed as I fought to control my racing heart. It couldn't be true. There was no way the gods could be on the brink of war. Although the dream, it seemed so real. It couldn't be true.

     "Carter?" I faintly heard Rose whisper from her bunk. "Carter are you okay? I know you're awake. Why won't you answer me?"

     Dropping to the floor, Rose knelt beside my bed. I felt her eyes on me as she took in my quivering form. "Oh God, Carter. Okay, just calm down. Carter, take a breath. You need to breathe."

     "I'm trying," I managed to gasp as Rose took my hand. Flashes from my dream passed in front of my vision. Did it mean anything? We the Gods truly fighting or was it just my imagination?

     These questions all passed though my mind and slowly, I began to get my breath back and settle my racing heart. "Thank you, Rose."

    Sighing, I twisted to I was leaning against the wall. Rose followed and looked at the bottom of her bunk.

     "You scared me, Carter. Why did you get an attack? It's two in the morning for God's sake." she questioned, turning her head to look at me.

     "I just had a dream. No big deal."

     Snorting, Rose replied, "No big deal? Carter, you had a panic attack. Obviously is was a big deal. What even happened in your dream?"

     "I can't tell you." I stated simply. "If I did, you would think I'm insane. Well, more then I already am."

     "Bull. That's a load of bull. Carter, I would never judge you. Nothing would ever change my opinion of you." Rose said, punching me lightly.

     Sighing, I said, "Rose, please trust me. I can't tell you. I've had these type of dreams before and I've told my friends. They all turned their backs on me and called me crazy. I can't go through that again."

     "Fine. I want you to know though, I will never betray you. No matter what you tell me." Rose shifted and got to her feet. "Well, I'm going to sleep. If you need me, ask me in the morning."

     Patting me on the knee, she grunted and hoisted herself onto her bed. In a matter of seconds she was fast asleep and snoring. I smiled. Typical Rose. That girl could fall asleep anywhere, any time. Sighing, I laid down and wished for sleep to come.

--§--

     Aquila, I thought as the hot water pounded against my shoulders. He was a constellation that was close to the celestial equator, although more visible in the northern hemisphere. The attendant to Zeus, Aquila retrieved the gods thunderbolts and preformed special deeds for Zeus. Aquila earned his place in the city of the stars when he fetched Ganymede, a beautiful Trojan boy, to be the catamite of Zeus.

     "Hm," I pondered. "Well, Aquila flew from the heavens to earth to come to Zeus's aid. Athena said that the gods would need to find a mortal to be a mediator. Maybe she was implying that Zeus needed Aquila to once again fetch a mortal."

     Stepping out of the shower, I thought about who the mortal would be.

     As I finished in the bathroom and stepped out, I asked, "hey Rose? If you were to choose someone to be a mediator between two groups, then what qualities would you like them to have?"

     "Uh, well, they would have to be smart. Like be smart enough to see the truth to both sides of the story. I guess the would also have to be level headed, you wouldn't want someone with anger problems to try and maintain a peace between the two parties. Why do you ask?" she replied, sitting cross-legged on her bunk.

     I placed all of my stuff that I need for the day in my pack, "no reason, I was just thinking. Thanks though. Are you ready to go?"

     "Yup!" Taking all of two seconds, Rose stuffed all of her stuff into her backpack and walked through the door, me following at her heels.

     "You know," I said, bumping her in the hip. "You really should organize your bag. Organize your surroundings, and you organize you mind."

     She threw her head back and laughed, "oh Carter, you and your daily quote. You know I love them, but me being organized is a hopeless cause."

     "Are you proposing a challenge? I can get you organized."

     "Definitely."

     "Then challenge accepted," I said with a teasing smile.

     Laughing, the two of us pushed through the mess hall doors. So far, the day was turning out to be a very happy day.

--§--

A/N

So I don't quite know where I'm going with this as of yet. Rest assure, I hope it should be good. I want to know what everyone thought of this chapter. Was is to slow? To boring? Please let me know! Thanks my beautiful readers.