Chapter 23

Next day in school they both looked at each other happily, both had mysterious smiles on their faces...they gazed at each other for longer than usual...amusing smiles crawled on their lips every time their eyes met during the day. It felt like old times. Dreamy school day passed, awaiting their special call.

In the evening, Shaurya called Anokhi in the hope of continuing their conversation from the previous day. 

Anokhi picked up the phone, knowing who's call it could be.

"Hello," she said sweetly but masking her excitement. 

"Hi, it's me," Shaurya said cheerfully. His sound had a different energy and excitement today.

"So, what are you doing??" asked Shaurya curiously. 

"I was getting ready for the exams. Exams are coming in two weeks. If I get a low score, then one of my favorite teachers will get upset with me, so I better study, you know" Anokhi replied teasingly.  

"Hmmm...In that case you are right...If my favorite student gets a low score then her favourite teacher will get very disappointed because her favourite teacher has lots of expectations from his favourite student" he snapped back at her with a serious tone, suddenly all humor vanished from his voice.

"So, how is your preparation going??" asked Shaurya with concern and a thick tone.

"Good. I'm preparing for the Business Studies exam right now, " replied Anokhi quietly.

"How come I hear music in the background?" asked Shaurya crossly . 

"Umm, I like to study like this!" said Anokhi innocently.

"Oh well... good for you... you can concentrate on studying while listening to music too." his sound was filled with sarcasm.

Anokhi thinking, 'Is he taunting me??? He sounds like he forgot that I study while listening to music. When it comes to studying, his tone changes immediately.'

Anokhi replied, "Music doesn't distract me from study. I study better with music on... I don't even realize sometimes hours and hours pass with music and study. It helps me not to get distracted with anything else."

'Maybe now is not the right time to ask all those questions. I should just let her study' thought Shaurya. "Okay, then you study. I will see you at tuition tomorrow." 

But before he could say bye and hang up, Anokhi asked impatiently, "But wait, you didn't tell me who you were talking to on friday???"

Shaurya chuckled, hearing her question and asked, "Why are you so interested in knowing who I was talking to??" Deep line of smirk spread on his face.

"I was just curious, but if you don't want to tell then..." Anokhi said sadly, hiding her curiosity. 

"I will tell you on one condition." Shaurya cut her in between. 

"What??" asked Anokhi irritatedly. 

"You will also tell me why you were mad at me and did not talk to me properly the entire week??" asked Shaurya, ignoring her irritated tone. 

"When was I not talking to you??" said Anokhi, feigning innocence. 

"This whole week." Shaurya added as a matter of fact. 

"I asked you first, so you tell me first," said Anokhi, trying to save herself from answering his question. 

"Hmmm, ok!" Shaurya gave up and replied,"Well, you are insisting, so I am telling you, I was talking to my best friend, I have known HIM..." he paused and emphasized on the word HIM' then continued  "Since we were in class 2. We are best buddies and I got this opportunity in the USA because of a lot of his efforts. I will be staying with him and his family, in the beginning, for a few months."