I made a mental note to talk to Violet about keeping Alexander on the project. If he was completely cut off, it would continue to make him feel powerless. Plus, I needed to get in contact with Dr. Daniels.

One way or another, I was going to help Alexander get part of his normally back.

Later that afternoon, we had a study date. Trevor brought in snacks and I caught up on my school work. Alexander read the passages to me as I typed my answers to the discussion boards.

When Alexander wasn't looking, I messaged Violet. If I could get him to work with me at my internship, he could still work indirectly with the project. Plus, he'd be perfect as a liaison.

'I'll think about it,' she sent.

When I asked her for Dr. Daniels's information she gave it to me without question.

"Perfume?" Alexander asked, reading over my shoulder.

I yelped and jumped. Only to smack Alexander in the face. We yelled and fell back. I clutched my head.

Alexander groaned behind me.

"You okay?" I asked.

"I don't like this," he whimpered.

I turned over and grabbed his face. No injury.

"Sorry," I said and kissed his forehead.

"You want me to wear perfume?"

"Well, if it's all about scent, we just got to dose you with it."

"It could work."

"Then, we can go to school together. You won't have to do online."

"You've been on a roll. I honestly don't know what I would do without you."

I smiled, feeling proud. "Like I said, I want to help and my brain is using so much energy right now."

He pecked my lips. "Let's hope this works."

#

Monday morning. I asked Dad to drop me off early. Sure, I dragged myself out of bed and fought to stay awake on the ride over.

"Why you going in so early?" he asked.

"I know you've been working early," I said. "I don't want to take the bus. So, if I get up earlier then you won't have to worry about me."

"Rin," he began.

"Dad, I wanted a ride," I said. "Plus, I can nap later."

"I hope you've been taking breaks."

I looked away. "Yeah."

With everything going on, sleep was the last thing on my mind. However, it wasn't work that kept me occupied at night. I've been searching the forums - Carlos had sent me the link and helped me set up a VPN - but so far, had found nothing. I searched for anything related to the Purists, rumors about the assassination attempt, and people who claimed they were vampires once.

It made sense though. How did they know it would work? The people who shot Alexander must have tested it on others. Sure there was the morbid idea that all those victims were dead but I didn't want to focus on that.

I groaned and rubbed my temple. My brain hurt.

We arrived at school way too soon. I kissed Dad before hurrying inside the building. The icy wind caught me. I shivered in my turtleneck and thick coat. At least the building was opened.

I made my way to one of the benches. The hallway was bright and it hurt my eyes. There was some movement in the office. Once settled, I texted Alexander.