8 - Anicus & Oseser

The first thing he realized was that there was a stickiness on his skin and rancid smell. Oseser blinked his eyes open and immediately hissed in pain- looking down at himself in the darkness. He felt his couch for a minute and groaned, "Full brightness!" He ordered Aipa and lights that were usually set to dim or nonexistent flickered on. Roaches scattered from his kitchen and he jumped at the sudden movement.

"God-" He groaned, putting his head in his hand for a moment as he moved to sit up. His flesh stuck to the couch fabric and he pulled his hand away. Oseser stared at it for a moment, then slapped the side table for his glasses. He knew that they wouldn't help him identify the substance on his hand. Now black and crusty, it left behind a ring that he could relate to a coffee mug that had been well used. His eyes widened, that rotting smell came from him.

This was... blood? He stood up from his couch and started to rip off his shirt- growing more and more alarmed with every spot he found. He hyperventilated as he ripped off the sweater from his chest, then took off his pants finding blood on it. Where was he hurt? Why couldn't he remember being hurt? This much blood- he must be dying- he must be-.

He ran into the bathroom connected to his apartment to look at himself and skidded to halt in front of the mirror. His face was splashed with blood- as if he had been in a slaughterhouse. He quickly tried to wash off his face- letting the water drip through his hands turning bright red. "Oh my god- Oh my god-" He whispered, searching himself. "A-" His voice failed and he had to swallow, "Aipa, when did I come home last night?!"

The AI took a moment to respond. "You returned home at cycle four of the station's current time-keeping period." He shook where he was, holding himself up on either side of his sink. He needed a shower- he must have tripped coming home or- He twisted his torso to turn back to his main room when a sharp pain went down his arm.

Oseser turned to look at it, eyes widening. He was burnt- badly- all down his arm. His eyes widened at it, mouth a thin line. It looked like the acid burns on the men who would repair pieces of Mother. Had he gone down to the floor after being in his office. The sample... He frowned, trying to remember what had happened to it. He had destroyed it- right? He had. He was taking out the garbage when-

"You figured out Mother needed living specimens." His throat tightened and he collapsed onto the bathroom floor with a sharp enough bang he vaguely thought his neighbors would come to check on him. "Oh god, what have I done- What did I do?" He near moaned, "Where have I been, Aipa?! Where?! Track my chip- tell me-"

The AI processed and while he still raved on the floor responded, "I have no records of you being anywhere other than this room and your office, Doctor. All files have been erased by an admin user."

"Who?! We don't have an Admin on this station!" He felt the wound on his arm weep as he crawled the main room, snatching up the clothing and throwing them in the garbage too. "WHO!?"

"The station does now, Sir. By my records-" She was interrupted by another voice that was similar to her own. "Incoming Call: Office Line "Umass"."

Oseser stood up, realized he was naked, and snapped, "Turn off all lights! Answer!" He stood in the darkness, trying to calm his breathing.

"Oseser?" Anicus asked, a small picture of her appearing on the top of the monitors in the room. "Oseser, you there?"

"Here! Yes, what do you want." He snapped and she frowned at the screen.

"Why is it dark?" Her eyes narrowed and he fidgeted, coming up with an answer.

"M-My camera is disabled. For security reasons if you must know. We hold information vital to the project so you-"