The New Executioner

A young Wolfkin gets forcibly dragged into a dungeon room under a colosseum. The room was three cages and an empty cage with a single blanket in the corner. The bars are made of magisteel, so no strength anyone put inside can't break them. However, there were other men in the room when they entered. They were dragging a corpse of a Wolfkin with a crest on the back of his hand out of the room. The crest was a shield with a triangle in the middle of it with a shield in the triangle. The men dragging the Wolfkin boy inside use magic to burn that same crest on the back of the young Wolfkin's hand, drawing a scream of agony from his mouth. Then they toss him in the empty cage and slam the door shut behind him. Just like everyone else before him, he rushes the bars and tries to break them but can't and collapses in despair since he can't break the bars.

After the guards leave, one of the other prisoners approaches the bars between their cells and watches the boy before saying, "You will need to know how to fight if you want to survive this. I can teach you."

The kid looks up and sees a Catkin at the bars. He first looks at them in suspicion because of the constant hate he has been told about between Wolfkin and Catkin, but then he nods and stands up. Thus starts their routine of training every single day when the Catkin isn't taken out to execute some criminals in the colosseum. Finally, he is dragged to the colosseum for his first fight as an executioner after a year. He at first sees the fear in his opponent's eye's when they hear the executioner is entering the arena, but once their fear turns into complete malice, he freezes, realizing the people mean to kill him. After taking an initial beating, he slaughters his opponents. The guards then drag him back to his cage in chains after getting a healer to heal him. When he gets back to the cell, he curls up against the back wall and cries silently to himself.

The Catkin comes to the bars after the guards leave, chuckling, and asks, "Are you okay little one?"

He stays silent but keeps up with the training but with less vigor. Finally, only the Catkin and him are left after five more years. They have stopped replacing the other executioners who die. The Catkin gets called to a surprise execution match one day, and they almost get caught training. When the Catkin is returned to their cell, she is left bleeding on the ground, and the healer ignores her, which enrages the Wolfkin, who rams the cell bars. They turn to see him point rudely at them and then point at her.

"What? Are you upset that we refuse to heal her?" a guard says while getting close to the bars.

He jumps on the opportunity, grabs the guy puts him in a chokehold, and demands, "Heal or die."

The healer heals her quickly, and the Wolfkin, true to his word, lets the guard go, who then tries to stab him with his spear. The Wolfkin dodges and goes to the back of the cell, and sits in silence. The guards and healer leave after that, grumbling that their job is thankless.

A year later, the Catkin is tossed lifeless on the floor before him, and he realizes that she lost the fight she had that day. He can't help but feel rage and sadness at seeing his teacher and the person who cared for him in this hell is dead at his feet.

"You're finishing the fight she lost." a guard says darkly.

While back in the cell after the fight, he hears a yell from a girl from the storm drain above him. He looks out of the drain and sees many boys closing in on a girl slowly. He reaches his hands out, scratches the ground behind her, and makes it seem like she is summoning him. The boys freak out and run, but she sees him give a thumbs up before pulling his hands back in when she looks behind her.

To his surprise, she puts her face up to the drain and says, "Thank you. I'll be back tomorrow. I want to ask you something tomorrow."

That night there is a surprise fight where he takes on ten criminals at once while they are armed, and he is not. Despite getting viciously slashed and stabbed, he wins and gets thrown back in his cell. Despite being healed, the pain is still there and doesn't allow him to sleep that night. So he stays awake thinking about what the girl might want from him.