A Different Point of View and a Surprise

Start from the beginning

Jasper walked into the room with baited breathe, the sweet aroma of pure Harry (mixed with a few earthy tones that he had smelt on Harry before, probably his cats) was over whelming.

He looked around with an eagerness he hadn't felt in years.

The hall way was small, 2 huge doorways leading into other rooms on opposite sides. Every corner was cluttered with piles of books, a sideboard nearly creaking under the weight of various tomes and small intricate trinkets that Jasper wouldn't dream to know the name of.

There was also an umbrella stand by the door that looked suspiciously like an Elephants foot.

Jasper dismissed that quickly and continued to admire the house of his mate, it was enchanting.

One thing, however, did give him pause.

There were frames on the walls and surfaces, probably holding paintings or photos. But everyone of them was turned over, facing the wall. Blocked from view.

Jasper's eyes crept over to Harry.

Harry was also looking at the hidden frames, as if noticing they were there for the first time.

An ashamed, embarrassment filled his mate. The clearest emotion he thought he'd ever felt form Harry.

It made his heart sting to feel it.

Harry clearly had a history, the way he spoke, acted and the haunted look in his eyes gave that away. He should never feel ashamed or embarrassed by his fears, even if they felt trivial.

Harry must have felt Jasper's concerned gaze as green met gold and the low feelings quickly vanished, hidden under a thick blanket of pretend.

"We can sit and talk in here." Harry muttered, gesturing Jasper to the door on the left.

Harry opened the door slowly, as if expecting something to happen. When it didn't he fully opened the door and led Jasper into the loveliest living room he had ever seen.

The fire bird that had tried to maim his family was perched proudly on a golden stand, an empty ashtray suspended under the perch that confused Jasper.

He eyed the creature warily for a few seconds before examining the room.

It was more like a library than anything else, with the towering book shelves and even more stacks of books nestled into any and all available space. There was a large sofa and an arm chair by the fire while 3 more squashy arm chairs were dotted about the room, probably for preferred reading spots.

None of the furniture matched in colour or pattern, all different shades of red and warm chocolate woods. It was endearing and comforting.

"You sure do read a lot." he muttered, unable to help himself. Harry snorted following Jasper's gaze around the room.

"A hobby I picked up from a friend." he replied quietly, the pang of sorrow at those words nearly made Jasper stagger. He wanted nothing more than to ask Harry about it, find out what made him so sad and fix it.

But that wasn't his place and he probably never would be. He would not use his powers like that, it was clearly personal and Harry would tell him when he was ready.

Harry sat on the sofa, shooting a look to the fire bird who seemed to turn his beak up at Harry in return.

Jasper was amused but didn't comment, instead sitting in the nearby armchair. Crossing his legs awkwardly and trying to look relaxed.

They looked so different.

Harry: beautiful in his cluttered environment, surrounded by a warmth that only came from a house full of well loved possessions. Still joking and listening to Jasper despite his discomfort at having someone he barely knew in his space.