30: Walking Back

Althalos escorted his betrothed back towards the castle, still wary of the crowds around them. To anyone observing them he would look calm, absorbed with his woman, but he knew he wouldn't relax until he was with the Aelfine.

"All, what brought you to me so quickly?" She kept glancing up at him-which made him concerned for her ability to stay on her feet. He wasn't going to call her out for that-not right then, anyway.

"Are you sure you want to be brought into the world I work in?"

"Do you really think we have a choice? I'm not going to stay in that prison all my life."

"You're the one who asked to be out of it." He shrugged as he scanned the crowds, searching for a threat when it was too late for that.

"I wanted out of hurting the thieve's guild. Whatever that woman's issue was, it was not that."

Althalos sighed, his hand pressed against her back, moving in a gently circular motion as they walked. "We've got a letter addressed to the king, chastising him for tainting his bloodline with pale, weak, human blood."

"Am I really the only one that fits that description? Surely the Aelif join with human Aelfine."

"Yes, they do-briefly. You're the only recent addition that fits and certainly the only one in city."

Esme bit her lip as she thought about whether she really wanted to dig herself deeper into his world-as if she could deny her curiosity or her self-preservation. She could stick to only having a passing conversation-she had been frustrated by a lack of action. Well, here was a moment for the former thief to do something, if she'd risk only a little. "Can I see this letter for myself?"

"You'll have to suffer Rileus' company...and mine."

Esme smiled at that addition. They'd not been good company for each other. "I've suffered half a dozen guards today, one more won't hurt."

"Really." He had not expected her to ignore him in that, but could hear the warmth in her voice, so it wasn't meant as an insult-but as to what it meant? He let go of it for now. "Point out all the guards as we make our way back in." The Prince hated the idea that she could spot the guards so easily as they were here for her protection. She could have evaded them all. He wouldn't have found her in time-which entirely disturbed him to think about.

He was attentive as she pointed the men out-and a few that were not his, as well. They were unmistakeable after she explained how she saw each one. He found it both a frustrating and humbling experience.