Real versus fake trees

Opening thoughtful presents, decorating gingerbread houses, hanging mistletoe, sipping on hot cocoa, building snowmen, going out with family to cut down the perfect tree together - these are all beloved Christmas traditions celebrated each year by millions of people. A good way to ruin all that holiday splendor is by putting up a fake tree. Picking out your tree is an essential part of the holiday, though many often squabble over whether real or fake is the way to go.

Real trees are better for an abundance of reasons. They bring the outdoors inside for a magical winter month with that unique pine aroma, while those flimsy fake ones that you have to store in a cardboard box take up space in the garage for the other eleven months of the year. Not to mention the branches are always bent and leave a plastic odor. Real trees don't need to be readjusted, nor do they smell like a plastic factory. Instead, they stand tall and proud, creating a festive atmosphere that sets the holiday spirit.

The family tradition of choosing and chopping down the best tree together is an adored part of the holiday. It's a stand alone Christmas activity all on its own compared to yanking down a heavy box from the attic.  It's a sentimental event that many parents look forward to doing with their children every winter and adds a snug, homey aspect to the season. By buying a fake tree, you miss out on the opportunity to fully enjoy the jolly fun families experience each year.

It's also better for the environment to use real trees over fake ones. Real Christmas trees aid in the filtration of dust and smog, and trees on farms produce oxygen while simultaneously cutting down carbon emissions. Fake trees are just going to end up in landfills that smell like reindeer poop and add to the mountains of plastic waste that can take centuries to decompose.

Those who like bland decor, prefer the smell of plastic over pine, want to miss out on a sacred family event, and enjoy harming the environment, by all means should definitely continue to put up a green piece of garbage each year. Otherwise, join the rest of society who like  breathtaking decorations, festive aromas, love our families - as well as the environment - and go chop down a real tree this Christmas season.