CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

† 𝖜𝖆𝖗𝖓𝖎𝖓𝖌: self-loathing, cursing

𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐄𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭: 𝐁𝐫𝐢𝐝𝐞𝐬𝐦𝐚𝐢𝐝 𝐃𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐬

     Rowena was a rose— pretty but prickly. She had wrapped her thorns around Y/N's mind, her resting glare, and her snide remarks. It didn't help that she was one of Dolores' bridesmaids; the town's gossip keeping the person who knows the most secrets close. It made sense and it was to be expected.

     "Can you please scootch over?" Rowena groaned, nudging Y/N away from her. They were cramped in a boutique shop, waiting for the bride to be to emerge with her dress. Y/N almost stumbled on her foot, "You don't have to be so mean, you know?" She bit back, furrowing her eyebrows at the infuriating lady. "Honey, you're not special, I'm mean to everyone." She nonchalantly said, picking at her painted nails.

     Mirabel crossed her arm, choosing to ignore the crackling energy between the two. She wished Luisa could come along but her dear sister was busy shaping the landscape of the venue with Isabela. The curtains were pushed aside and Dolores squealed excitedly. "What do you guys think?"

     Dolores twirled, the wedding dress swayed revealing a golden color underneath. The soft subtle ruffles on her sleeves, the deep V-shaped that exposes a tiny bit of her back— Mariano was one hell of a lucky man. "I do." Y/N clamped her hand over her mouth, Mirabel giggled. "I'm taking it that Y/N likes it." Dolores teased.

     "This dress is perfect." She swooned; there will be no more need for any other adjustments. Her mother, Pepa, had already fussed last week when the sleeves looked too loose.  The tailor smiled proudly at her work, "I also have designed dresses for the bridesmaids." She informed. There was a rack of ginger gowns, uniformed in color but different in styles. They were all simple enough to not stand out but still appeal to the eyes.

     Rowena was the first to pick, she unhooked a dress and wordlessly bee-lined to the fitting room. "Well, she's not wasting time." Mirabel joked, rummaging through the assortment of garments. She got a halter neckline with an asymmetrical skirt, "Found something you like?" She asked. Y/N sighed— she felt awkward with a tinge of nervousness. Shopping wasn't one of the things she enjoys, especially since everything she wore doesn't seem like the right fit.

     She got a random dress from the rack, retreating to a vacant fitting room to try it on. Curse the heavens, it was sleeveless. Her clothes piled on the floor as she shrug the gown on. Her arms look broad, she turned herself to the side. It felt like her flesh was being squeezed; the little marks across her skin looked more prominent. She hugged herself, the mere reflection of her was nauseating.

    "Shit, don't make this about yourself, Y/N." She scolded herself. Her beating heart rung her ears and she stumbled out of the small room. Unknowingly, she bumped into Rowena who was conversing with Dolores. "Hey, watch it." Rowena snapped but as soon as her eyes landed on Y/N's queasy expression, her rough exterior faltered for a second.

     Dolores— already in her regular clothes— stood between the two with her brows furrowed in worry, "You okay?" Y/N let out a shaky laugh, rubbing her arm to soothe her jumping nerves. "I'm fine, maybe I'll just look for another gown." Her skin felt cold and exposed, any criticism would pierce her, she felt vulnerable.

     Mirabel folded her chosen gown and handed it to the saleslady, "I'll help you find a different dress." She kindly offered. Dolores glanced at the window, "Let's get lunch first, sounds good?" Rowena seemed to brighten up at her friend's suggestion, "I know a place." 

     Y/N lagged behind the three girls as they entered a quaint café. She had missed breakfast but oddly, she doesn't have an appetite. Rowena crossed her legs as she sat graciously while Y/N timidly shrunk in her seat in front of her. Rowena was effortlessly beautiful; almond complexion paired with her plump red lips. Y/N was nothing compared to her.

     "Ro, we're not here to spy on your ex." Dolores hissed as she recognized the waiter. Y/N looked up to see Lucia in a uniform, they made eye contact and he immediately beamed at her. Mirabel dryly laughed, "I should have expected this to happen." Rowena had always appeased to Gutiérrez in hopes for him to convince Lucia to get back with her.

    Lucia approached their table with a friendly smile, "How can I help you, ladies, today?" He chirped. It was amazing how Rowena seemed to have no affect on him, he didn't show an ounce of bitterness that always comes from exes. The three ordered while Y/N stayed silent, Rowena noticed which made her quirk an eyebrow. "You're not getting anything?" While her tone felt sharp, her intentions weren't malicious.

     Y/N remembered how she looked back at the boutique, she bit her lip and shamefully shook her head. Dolores and Mirabel was about to protest but Lucia cut them off, "Alright, I'll be back with your orders." Y/N hung her head low. 

     Rowena clicked her tongue, crossing her arms under her chest. Their table was silent aside from Mirabel's attempts at small talk. After a few minutes, Lucia came back with a tray on his hand. He placed each of their orders in front of them and finally, he put down a plate of cinnamon roll in front of Y/N. "Free of charge." He winked at his dear friend.

     Mirabel softened as she saw Y/N's lips forming into a smile— maybe this Lucia boy wasn't what she thought he was. "You coming to my wedding?" Dolores asked causing Lucia to clumsily question, "Oh, uhm, I could go?" The Morenos had an unwritten ban on any Madrigal based event so it was a bit of surprise to hear this from the bride to be. "Dude, everyone's invited." Well, except for gutter man— Mirabel shrugged.

      "If that's the case, I'd love to." Lucia shyly bowed before them. Once he left to attend to other customers, Mirabel sharply turned to Rowena. "I thought he was one hell of an heart eating asshole?" She interrogated. Rowena had a bored look on her face, "It's called scaring the competition." Her eyes shortly glanced at Y/N as she says this.

     Y/N found herself back at the boutique, she was less than excited. The saleslady kindly showed her another array of styles. "How about this?" Dolores asked, showing her an a line gown. Y/N shook her head; she rather die than to wear another sleeveless. Soon, her eyes landed on a two piece gown. The puffed sleeves resembled a traditional Filipiniana and it was paired with a mermaid skirt. Mirabel unhooked the hanger and gave it to Y/N, "Come on, try this on."

     Shoved inside the fitting room, Y/N winced as she came face to face with her reflection. Averting her eyes, she peeled off her clothes and wore the skirt first. The smooth garment hugged her legs, she took a step back to test if she could properly walk in it. Next was the top but the zipper on the back won't close and she was slowly losing hope.

      "I look so fucking stupid." She muttered, blinking to stop the waterworks. She knew she shouldn't have eaten that roll, she cursed herself. When she saw how she struggled in front of the mirror, she couldn't take it anymore. Her stomach wrenched and she covered her mouth to muffle her sobs. 

     The curtains were pushed aside and Rowena entered the small space. "You were taking too long." She mumbled, fumbling her fingers on the top's zippers. Y/N's breath heaved as Rowena was able to fully close it. "I'm sorry." She weakly whispered.

     "You're frustrating me." Rowena admitted but her stoniness faded. "I just- I can't bare the sight of myself." Y/N harshly wiped her tears, turning her back on the mirror. Rowena thinned her lips as if she was contemplating what to do next. "You like the dress, right?" She asked. Y/N nodded, it was beautiful. "Then that's just what matters, you wear what you like and don't let anything take that from you." 

     It was as if she seeing another side of the woman she was so sure that hated her guts; now it made sense why Dolores was friends with her, underneath her rough disposition was sincere honesty in its purest form. "Thank you." Y/N breathlessly said. Rowena turned her around so she could see how the dress fits her. "Don't mention it."