CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO

Start from the beginning

    Pushing her aside, he marched over to her counter and grabbed what was left of her beer. "I'm taking this." As he passed her, he gently set her down on the loveseat before taking the rest of the empty bottles on the floor. "God, you're ruining my life." She complained, throwing her head back. It wasn't directed to her landlord as she could barely even hear him through all the noises in her head.

     The door closed and she was by herself once again. Her sunken eyes stung and she rubbed her wrist over them to stop the tears from flowing. "What wonderful neighbors I have." Noone was really worried, they were all just annoyed. 

     Feeling an itch on her neck, she traced over the ruddy skin. Slowly, she clamped her hand on her neck, feeling it tense as she heaved. She couldn't really sleep; whenever she closed her eyes, she would see Leonora's face. "She is such a liar." Y/N dryly laughed.

     Love. It's amazing how much that single word had a strong grip over her.  It knocks the air out of her lungs and it felt like a broken rib. She could feel every jagged bone, every deep cut. 

     Once again, there was a knocking on her door but this time, it was softer. She remained sprawled on her seat, the migraine becoming unbearable with each second. Through clenched jaw, she hissed lowly. "Y/N?" It was Camilo.

    The keys jingled and a second later, Camilo peeked at the dim apartment. It was hard to discern where the trash ends and where the floor begins— so he tiptoed his way in. "Geez, what happened?" He squinted, focusing on the shadow which he presumed was Y/N's.

    "A party." She drawled; a one-man party. Camilo went over to her figure, her face becoming clearer. She was a mess, sickly almost. Ignoring her damp skin, he pressed his hand over her forehead as if to check her temperature. He was taken back when Y/N flicked his hand away.

     Biting the inside of his cheeks, he fumbled, "What has gotten into you?" She turned her head to the side, her brows lowering in a glare. "If you're here to scold me, it'll go through nothing but deaf ears." Now that he was in close proximity to hers, he caught a whiff of the cheap booze. 

     "You had been drinking." She rolled her eyes, he was stating the obvious. She pushed her legs up, hugging her knees defensively, "I don't want a babysitter." Camilo ran his fingers over his curls in frustration, "Need over want." 

     Camilo went over her cupboards, bringing out a glass and filling it with water. "Here, drink this." He pushed the glass onto her arms but her foggy brain pushed it away, causing it to fall and shatter. "You're not my mom, stop acting like one." His eyes softened as he heard this, now getting an idea of what might have happened during these past few days.

      "Look, Y/N, I care a lot about you." He affirmed, bending over to cup her face with both of his hands. She grabbed his wrists and took them off her, "You shouldn't." Her heartbeat was quickening but it was rather unpleasant— it was dooming. Camilo bit his lip, "Why do you say that?"

     Her bitter laughs filled the room; not even her own blood cares for her, it's all just words without meaning. "Could anyone really love this?" She motioned at herself. Her clothes have beer stains and her hair was a tangled mess. "No, of course, not even I could love this." Then she jabbed her pointer on his chest, accusingly questioning, "Why? Could you love this?" His parted lips bear no words.

    "That's what I thought." She was about to step on the glass fragments but Camilo pushed her back down on the chair. "Y/N, I do- I do love you." Through her bleary sight, she drove him away. He was a liar just like her. Push comes into shove, she could feel the fire scorch her insides. 

    Despite her internal misery, Y/N's eyes were dead— devoid of emotion. She went to the other side of the loveseat and stood up. Camilo grabbed her arm, stopping her from walking to the kitchen to scout for some leftover booze. "Let go." She bellowed, struggling to get out of his hold. "You can't keep pushing people away like this!"

     She was guarded. "Just let me forget." Her lashes fluttered close, her tears glossing over them. Camilo felt the glass crunched beneath his shoe. "Is that what you really want, Y/N?" She had always busied herself with the next new thing and he was, unfortunately, one of them. He knew that he was her getaway, a distraction so she could avoid the cracks in her life. But now he was obsolete, she needed a new high.

     "I want to forget."

     "So get out of my way." His grip loosened. "I don't think I could do this anymore." He muttered. She stayed tight-lipped; watching him distance himself from her. He didn't know what was worse; his unreturned feelings or the fact that he was tearing up in front of her. In the end, he left her as well.