Mom?

Chapa's POV

"It was shocking how big that line was!" Bose exclaimed as he unwrapped his burger. 

"Well this is the best fast food restaurant in Swellview." Chapa shrugged. Bose made a contented sigh in response. 

"I see why." He dreamily mumbled through a mouthful of meat. 

"We should think of getting back soon." Chapa said and Bose sighed, his posture sloching.

"Whyyyy? He just started eating?" He whined as he took another bite.

"Because..." Chapa trailed off. She didn't want to tell Bose outright that it was because of that new kid since he had taken her out here to get time alone to relax. "You know, you're right but we leave as soon we are finished."

"Sounds good to me."

----

The doorbell chingled as they left the restaurant.

"Bye, Charol!" Bose waved to the older woman at their table.

"Come again, Bose!" She waved back as the door closed behind them.

"Why do you always befriend the waitresses at restaurants?" Chapa stared blankly at him. Bose shrugged.

"People just like me." He boosted as he ran a hand through his hair. "I mean, I'm just so attractive." Chapa snorted with laughter and Bose grinned.

"I suppose." Chapa shrugged as she nugged Bose playfully, he stumbled slightly before coming back at her.  The two laughed as they walked down the sidewalk. A woman rushed from the other direction carrying groceries. The two collided. The grocery bag broke spilled it's contents all over the pavement. 

"For the love of God!" The woman cursed rather loudly under her breath as she knelt down to pick up the groceries. Muttering profanities as she did so. 

"Here, ma'am, let me help." Bose offered as he got down on his knees to help her. 

"Thank you, young man." She smiled at him as Chapa retrieved her bag to check the damage. Chapa came to the collusion that it was beyond repair, so she threw it aside. Chapa turned her attention to helping Bose and the woman with collecting the scattered groceries. "It's just not my day today." The woman joked despite the lingering anger in her tone. 

"I completely understand. I've had my bad days, too." Bose responded back. "Now that I think about it, most involve animals. That damned Alpaca." Bose shook his fist to the sky when he said the last sentence. This seemed to make the woman crack up. Even Chapa found it funny and a chuckle escaped her before she could stop it. Bose looked satisfied to make them laugh during a tense moment. To Chapa he looked like a happy puppy who had done a hard trick. 

 " I thanks you again, young man, for everything." She sighed contently as she wiped away a tear from laughing to hard. "Especially the laugh, I needed that today." 

"Always happy to help, ma'am!" Bose saluted her with a grin. It was then that the woman moved into the light and Chapa saw her face. Her throat tightened.

"MOM!!" She practically screamed, causing the woman to flinch at the sudden sound. Bose glanced, shocked. Even a few passibyes stared at them as if a dramatic scene would unfold before them. Chapa felt emotions flow through her, she didn't know what emotions they were or which ones would arise to the surface first. 

"Chapa?" She gasped, her mouth dropped open. 

"Why do you have to be here?" Chapa spat out before she could take it back. The woman seemed extremely hurt at those words. She soon regained her footing though. 

"I have every right to be here, I have free will." She retorted back at Chapa seamilessy even though her voice quivered ever so slightly. The two stared each other down, both to prideful to say the words that needed to be said.