Chapter Twenty-Three

Start from the beginning

There was silence, then the sudden sound of flying footsteps. With relief, Aurelia saw a purple smudge move against a building and appear on the street: Tara running as fast as her feet could carry her. Aurelia held out her hand, and Tara reached for it. Aurelia tugged and pulled the girl into the pod, slamming the door as she was barely inside.

"Go!" Aurelia yelled to Jonathon.

The pod swerved and went up two levels, correcting its course. It sped off, leaving the dark blocks of the outskirts of Lunar City behind it.

"Nobody speak," Jonathon ordered. "Wait."

Now was not the time for talking. There was no guarantee who was listening in on a transport pod. Jonathon is simply trying to keep us safe, thought Aurelia. But she had also noticed the tightness on his face when he'd seen his sister, though he'd said nothing.

Aurelia saw the hard, firm line of Jonathon's jaw as he concentrated on the console of the pod and the grim set of Elza's face, focussed on the task at hand. Nicholas looked more relaxed than anyone; his smile was easy when Aurelia caught his eye. Tara was white, and looking down, Aurelia could see the girl's hands were shaking and moved over on the bench seat to put an arm around her. To Aurelia's surprise, Tara leaned in and held Aurelia. It took a moment for her to realize the warmth she felt on her shoulder came from the girl's tears. She cried silently, and Aurelia held her all the way home, stroking her purple hair.

The pod slid through the city, lights bouncing off the glass windows, the kaleidoscope of color that Aurelia loved about Lunar. Now the streets were wide and familiar, and she knew where they were going. Sure enough, a few minutes later, the pod halted outside of Jonathon's house.

"Out," he ordered.

Aurelia inhaled the fresh, clean smell of grass as she obediently exited the pod. Jonathon held up a hand to stop everyone from speaking, and he led them into the house. Like a military parade, they trooped after him in the front door, through the long, bare corridor, and finally down the stairs into the basement. Aurelia shook her head. She'd gladly never enter a basement again in her life, if she had any choice about it.

It wasn't until they were all closeted inside a small office with a thick metal door that Jonathon finally spoke.

"It's safe to talk here; no one will be overheard. I think that there's a fair amount of talking to be done," he said.

His voice was stern, but Aurelia saw a twinkle in his eye. He's nowhere near as angry as he is pretending to be, she thought.

"I think we'd better start with how the hell you found us," Nicholas said.

There was the sound of sniffing, and Tara was crying again. With her makeup running down her face, she looked impossibly young. "I tried," the girl said, sobs spacing her words. "I honestly tried."

Jonathon looked confused.

"As soon as I heard you, I knew what you wanted to do, even though I didn't really understand. I was trying to get to a com system; I promise I was." Hot tears flowed.

Jonathon shook his head. Pulling a disposable wipe from a box on his desk, he got up and handed it to Tara, who took it gratefully.

"I think it's time for us all to be honest with each other," he said, taking his seat again. "There have been too many misunderstandings and too much miscommunication and mistrust." He looked at Tara. "Even so, I think you're going to have to sit this one out."

"No," said Aurelia immediately. "I don't think she does. You have no idea what she's done for us, and she deserves to know the truth. She deserves to know who her brother really is and to make the decision to join you if that's what she wants."