Hollywood Heartbeat

Scene 11: Today

At this point, Yoongi has made it past the outskirts of Los Angeles. The road opens into the freeway. The way is no longer illuminated by streetlights. He risks a brief glance at his iPhone that is connected to the car radio and taps on the display a couple of times. For the last half an hour, The Boys of Summer has been playing on repeat. And Yoongi does not intend to switch songs for the rest of the night. After it was over on the radio, he had turned the volume down and not listened to anything for some time. But the trip down memory lane had re-sparked the desire for the song.

I can tell my love for you will still be strong

After the boys of summer have gone

Already back in the worn-down room of the California Sun motel, Yoongi had been perfectly aware of the fact that their relationship wasn't meant to last any longer than that one summer. And he had been just as aware that the same didn't go for their love. What had developed between Jimin and him back on that fire escape, was nothing you could get over within a 2-months love affair, regardless of how untamed its nature might have been. Jimin had not been a boy of summer. He had been summer itself. This hot, carefree season that you long for every year anew. Already back then, Yoongi's body had been worn out by the countless winters he had endured up to that point. Over the course of his life, there had not only been one winter per year. He had long since gotten used to bracing against the pinching cold that life had perpetually met him with. And in Jimin's presence, he had eventually started to thaw. For a short moment, he had stopped feeling pain. Started feeling himself. When the body is exposed to extreme cold, at some point, it stops supplying the less important parts with blood in order to save the vital organs. It had been quite similar with Yoongi. He had spent most of his life just functioning and apparently it had been necessary for his body to cut off the blood supply to his heart. There had been no capacity for feelings. But eventually, Jimin had brought it back to life. For some reason, it had kept beating even after Yoongi had to let him go. No matter how hard Yoongi had tried for it to turn to ice again... it had not abandoned its will to live. But as stated before... he had been aware of the risk and taken it anyway. Knowing at the back of his mind that his position in the underworld prohibited him from engaging in a lasting emotional connection, he had put his heart in Jimin's hands. But also maybe not. Maybe already back then, together with the joint, Jimin had just snatched it from him without asking. Taken a drag from it before Yoongi had given his consent. And it still tastes of Pepsi and spearmint.

*

Scene 12: Back then

The yacht lies at anchor in the port of Marina del Rey. No surprise if it would sink, though. Dragged down by the combined heaviness of the crimes that the passengers abroad have committed. Gangsters, too, love Venice Beach. Most gatherings are held right in the face of the public. On the deck of the private yacht, about 150 criminals armed to the teeth, are enjoying themselves. Strings of big multicolored light bulbs tied between the masts illuminate the extravaganza that the coast guard monitors from the shore and, of course, does not interfere in. Three things are especially easy to purchase in the underground of Los Angeles: Sex. Drugs. And cops.

Yoongi is not enjoying himself. Not anymore since he saw Jimin's outfit. He knew that he'd also show up tonight. But he didn't know that it was a business appointment for him. Yoongi really just dropped by to put in an appearance. Exchange a few words with one or two officials. Prove to the people who are aiming for his head that it's still pretty well attached between his shoulders. This afternoon, Jimin had sent him nudes from in the shower and Yoongi had taken it as an opportunity to ask whether he was up to spending the night together after he was done with his duty call on the Proud Mary. Jimin had let him in on the fact that he, as well, was invited on the yacht belonging to that property shark from Mexico. But apparently, he isn't here as one of the guests, but rather for their entertainment. Or maybe especially for the entertainment of tonight's host.