Chapter 23

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

            I slept in very late. I think that I deserved it though. By the time Clay got to the warehouse it was almost three thirty and we were there for another twenty minutes. The warehouse ended up going up in flames, which James and I specialized in with Happy’s help. And then when we got home, Chibs stayed up with me to fix my new wound. It was just a scrap of the bullet and it was lucky of me that Trevor didn’t have a good shot, but it still needed to be looked at and bandaged nonetheless. But I was most glad that it was on the side where my dragon tattoo was not, or else Trevor would have died a second time as well. It was almost four by the time I actually got any sleep.

            I looked at the clock beside my bed and saw that it was almost eleven in the morning. I groaned and forced myself to get up. My arm and my hip hurt like hell, but I still had water bottles and painkillers. I got out of bed and I walked over to the dresser. I took the water bottle and unscrewed the cap before I took some pain killers and swallowed them with the water, drinking a bit more since I was thirsty.

            Once the bottle was empty, I put it in the garbage can before I went to my dresser. I put on a pair of denim shorts before I heard a knock at my door. I looked down, suddenly having a mind blank to make sure that I was wearing a shirt. It was oversized and I’m pretty sure it was an old shirt that was my boyfriend’s in high school, but I couldn’t be sure. Since I was covered, I went to the door and opened it to see Gemma. She looked a bit surprised, “oh, I didn’t expect you up.”

            “I just woke up. You would have caught me thirty seconds ago.” I grinned, leaning against the door, “Clay need something?”

            “No baby, but your mom called. Seemed pretty upset. Apparently she has been calling your house, but I know you haven’t been there. Thought that she could get you here. I think she’s worried about you that you aren’t home. Asked if I actually saw you recently.” Gemma answered.

            I groaned and ran a hand through my hair, “fuck I was going to call her today. Is she still on the phone?”

            “No. I told her that you have been here, but that you were still sleeping.” Gemma asked.

            “Wait, she called the clubhouse?” I asked, shock easily heard in my voice.

“Yeah baby, she did. You should probably call her.” Gemma said.

“I was going to later today. I’ve been so busy with all of this and I completely forgot…” I sighed.

            “Well you have been pretty preoccupied, getting shot and all.” Gemma grinned.

            I chuckled, “Yeah…I’ll call a cab. If it wasn’t for my hip wound I’d run back but I don’t’ want to test that.” God I missed running. Thankfully my metabolism is still packed full form my years of activity.

            “You still don’t have a car?” Gemma asked.

            I shook my head and went to go into my room and pack a bag of things to take back with me. I told Gemma over my shoulder as I began to put clothes into a backpack, “no, and my bike is at my house. Maybe I can start riding that now that my ribs are better.”

            I looked up and asked her, “do you think Clay will need me today? Or should I just talk to him.”

            “I’d talk to him honey to be sure. I don’t know the details of the club.” Gemma answered.