1: Home Is Where....Wait Where Is It?

Start from the beginning

It opened within seconds and his dad was standing there, looking older and with a beard. It was speckled with grey hair, as was the hair on his head. He looked Nico over and smiled a little awkwardly. 

"I missed you." He said, pulling the boy into a loose hug. Nico felt something was off, but couldn't help but smile. 

"I missed you too." He said, relief washing over him. "I was so scared when I went to the condo and you weren't there. I thought something had gone really wrong.". 

"It did, son." His dad said, still smiling a little. "But you're back now and I am happy about that.". It sounded like Fletcher was saying that more to himself then to his son but the 15 year old didn't care. He was blinded be the relief. 

"Is that who I think it is?!" An excited, female voice called out. Nico's brow furrowed. For a second he thought it was his mom but she didn't sound that happy about anything. She was quite the grump. 

A young woman, probably in her mid 30s, emerged from inside the house. Her dress was loose and trendy, or at least Nico assumed it was. It looked breezy and was a pinch too much like little house on the prairie's costumes. 

The woman had dyed blonde hair and blue eyes. Her smile was stretched wide across her face. "Oh my goodness hello!" She said, throwing her arms around Nico. He was pretty short, only about 5'6 ish, and they were the same height. The woman pulled back and looked at him. "I'm Nicole Daniels. I married Fletch a few months after the blip." She said. 

Nico felt like someone had dumped a bucket of ice water over his head. He hadn't expected everything to stay exactly the same. 5 years was a long time. But this was quite the shock. 

"Its uh-its nice to meet you." He managed to get out. "I wasn't expecting him to be married." He mumbled. 

The woman smiled and her eyes twinkled. "That's not the only surprise!" She said, wiggling her eyebrows. His dad opened his mouth to say something but before he could two kids barreled over to him.

"Daddy!" One of them shouted, holding their arms out to be picked up. The man obliged and Nico felt a little ill. There were two of them. One looked about 5, the other was closer to 3. 

"These are your baby siblings, Paisley and Greyson." The woman, Nicole said, holding the younger boy, Greyson, in her arms. "They've heard so much about their big brother, haven't you Grey-Grey?" The woman asked in a baby voice. 

Greyson just laughed and looked over at Nicholas curiously. The little girl, Paisley, seemed to have other ideas. 

"Is he really my brother? Like the one in the picture you showed us.?" She asked from Nico's-er-her(he guessed) father's arms. His dad cooed and nodded.

"That's him." He said with a wider smile. He seemed to be smiling more genuinely for the girl than he had after seeing his long lost son. Nico tried not to let it sting. 

"I thoughted mommy said dat he was an angel?" She said. 

"He was just missing. Lots of people were, but they're all back now baby." Nicole said with a smile. "Now come in, come in." She said gesturing for Nico to enter the house. He looked back at Mr. Garza who was still standing by the car making sure everything was okay. 

"I should thank him first. He drove me all the way out here and watched out for me in the shelter." The boy explained. 

"Oh of course, go on." Nicole said. His dad just gave him a stiff nod. Nico hurried off the large wooden porch and hugged Mr. Garza.

It reminded him of the first time he hugged the man after he promised to fast track Nico's search to find his family. "I see you've had the shock of your life." The man commented. Nico laughed. 

"Yeah." He said, "Thank you, Mr. Garza. I really can't thank you enough for this.". 

"You don't have to Nicholas." The man said, "I'm just glad to send you home. Remember, even if things have changed, its the same planet and your school and friends still exist. You're connections aren't broken, they're just frayed.". 

Nico hugged the man again. It felt a bit like hugging a tree. Mr. Garza was a large man, about 6'4 and well over 200 lbs. He was muscular too. The man just laughed from his chest and ruffled the boy's hair. "I should be going now." He said, "Call me if you ever need me.". Nico nodded and let go of the man, watching from the driveway as he pulled off onto the old country road and into the distance. 

-- -- -- 

Welcome to Summer Upstate! 

I noticed that there are a lot of x reader fics on wattpad but not a lot of OC fics. 

Personally I prefer full characters with their own actions so I decided to write some! I have more ideas in mind and I'd be glad to see everyone else's ideas 

I'm also posting this at the exact same time as chapter 2 so there isn't much of a point in putting an author's note but hey, its my first post here so I wanted to 😊