•Chapter five•

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, we're the med students." Dean told him.

"Sorry?" The guy asked.

"Oh, Dr. Fliglavitch didn't tell you?" Dean asked, gesturing to the empty desk beside the one they were standing at. "We talked to him on the phone. We're from Ohio state. He's supposed to show us the shoemaker corpse. It's for our paper." He told him.

"Well, I'm sorry, he's at lunch."

"Oh. Well, he said, uh— oh, well, you know, it doesn't matter. You don't mind showing us the body, do you?" Dean said.

"Sorry, I can't. Doc will be back in an hour. You can wait for him, if you want." The man told them.

"An hour? Ooh. We got to be heading back to Columbus by then." Dean said looking to his brother.

"Yeah." Sam nodded, looking down at August who was grinning at him from her carrier.

"Uh, look, man, this papers like half our grade, so if you don't mind helping us out?" Dean asked.

"Look, man— no." The guy shook his head making Deans smile fall.

Dean chuckled, turning away from the guy towards his brother.

"I'm gonna hit him in his face, I swear." He said, Sam hit his shoulder and stepped in front of the man, clearing his throat.

Sam got his wallet out of his pocket, and opened it, laying some cash on the desk. Dean scoffed, watching his brother.

"Follow me." The guy picked up the cash, getting up out of his seat.

Sam went to follow him, but Dean grabbed his brothers jacket, pulling him back.

"Dude, I earned that money."

"You won it in a poker game."

"Yeah." Dean nodded, stating that he still earned it.

Sam went to walk away again, but Dean took the baby carrier from him.

August babbled, reaching up to dean. He smiled at her, and put his free hand in her grasp.

~~~

"The newspaper said his daughter found him. She said his eyes were bleeding." Sam said to the man as they stood in front of the table with the shoemaker corpse.

"More than that. They practically liquified." The man stated, pulling the covers down over Mr. Shoemaker's head.

"Any sign of a struggle, maybe somebody did it to him?" Dean asked.

"Nope. Besides the daughter, he was all alone."

"What's the official cause of death?" Sam asked.

"Docs not sure. He's thinking massive stroke, maybe an aneurysm." The man said. "Something burst up in there, that's for sure."

"What do you mean?" Sam asked.

"Intense cerebral bleeding. This guy had more blood in his skull than anyone I've ever seen."