Chapter 4: The Bad News

——————————🏹——————————

Merid pushed open the door that lead to the kitchens, (Y/n) following behind him.

"Good day prince." One maid greeted.

Merid grabbed an apple and tossed it over to (Y/n) before grabbing one for himself. He then paused in his tracks when he saw a giant plate of sweets. He stuffed the apple into his mouth and swiftly swiped the tray and hid it behind his back and brought it back around once he was out of the kitchen. (Y/n) raised her eyebrow quizzically at him and he sent her a wink. She just smiled and rolled her eyes at him.

...

The two entered the dining room to hear King Fergus telling the story of how he lost his leg for the hundredth time.

"And then, out of nowhere, the biggest bear you've ever seen!"

Merid tossed his apple core over his shoulder and glanced at (Y/n) to see her glaring at him.

"What?" He asked, surprised.

"You realize I'm going to have to be the one to pick that up right?" She huffed, crossing her arms.

"Relax, I'll get someone else to do it. No need to get pouty." Merid teased.

"I'm not being pouty!" (Y/n) defended.

"Awe, don't be embarrassed love. I find your pouty face adorable." Merid pinched her cheek.

The girl swatted his hand away and tried to cover the blush that made its way onto her face.

"His hide littered with weapons of fallen warriors. His face scarred, with one dead eye." King Fergus was telling the story to the triplets who looked like they were about to fall asleep.

"I drew my sword and..."

"Whoosh!" Merid interrupted, making the boys jump. "One swipe, his sword shattered. Then "chomp"! Dad's leg was clean off. Down the monster's throat it went." 

"Oh, that's my favorite part." Fergus whined.

"Mor'du has never been seen since." Merid continued, sneaking around the king's chair. "And is roaming the wilds waiting his chance for revenge."

(Y/n) was walking by him when he snagged her around the waist, making her squeal, and made some fake bear noises. (Y/n) laughed and wiggles out of his embrace, playfully jabbing him in the arm.

"Let him return. I'll finish what I huddled in the first place." Fergus promised.

Merid pulled out (Y/n)'s chair for her and she sat down, and Merid placed his bow on the table.

"Merid, a prince does not place his weapons on the table." Queen Elinor reminded him.

"Mum! It's just my bow." Merid whined.

"A gentlemen should not have weapons in my opinion." Elinor replied.

"Leave him be. Gentlemen or not, learning to fight is essential." Fergus butted in.