TWENTY-FIVE - DIZZY ON THE COMEDOWN

Start from the beginning

"I think he needs to give it up and come work for us so we can retire somewhere tropical." My father forced a grin at his business partner, trying to keep the mood light.

Richard laughed loudly, taking a sip of his whiskey, "That sounds even better. I know Jessica is eager to take over..."

"Just waiting on Harry." She said with a forced smile, looking over at me, "Can't do it without my partner, right?"

"That's right." My father said sternly, meeting my eyes, "You can't."

I generally let this kind of stuff slide. I didn't like to rock the boat, I just wanted to make it to shore in one piece. Tonight, drunk on tequila and agitated over Arabella, I decided to poke the bears.

"And if I decide I don't want to work for the family business? Then what happens?" I asked, watching my dad's jaw clench.

"That isn't an option." Richard said sternly, looking at my father, who was staring at me as if he wanted to jump over the table and strangle me. "What is this nonsense, Ed?"

I wanted my father to blow up. I wanted him to yell at me and lose his temper in front of his business partner and oldest friend. I wanted Jessie to see what a monster he could be. But he stayed silent, his body perfectly still. It was almost scarier.

"It won't matter once we're married." Jessie piped in, raising her eyebrows. Her hand moved to touch my knee, which was bouncing up and down wildly. "Once we get married, we'll own the whole company together and I can run things by myself."

"You can't run it alone." My father stated harshly. I knew he didn't want to hand his entire business over to her. He wanted me to have it. "Harry has to be involved."

"What if he's just... a silent partner?" She suggested, raising her eyebrows, "I love what I do. I enjoy it. I don't mind doing it without him..."

I was surprised at her willingness to stand up for me, considering how much she hated the flower shop. She always thought it was a waste of time and money. But she acted differently with our parents... we both did. Our protective instincts came out toward one another whenever our parents attacked. It was almost... like we were siblings. The thought made my stomach turn. Is this really what my relationship has turned into?

"You run the business together. That's the deal. Richard..." My father turned to his partner, sighing loudly and gesturing toward us.

"Yes, that is the plan. Has been since you two were born. Marriage first, then we'll talk about the company. Speaking of marriage..." Richard lifted his eyebrows to me and I felt a pit form in the bottom of my stomach, "You two are nearly 30. The clock is ticking..."

I stared back at him blankly, unable to mask my pure displeasure for a long moment. I tried to wipe the anger off my face as fast as I was able, but I was certain my father noticed it. Forcing a smile onto my face felt like hooks in the corners of my mouth, yanking my lips roughly into place. It was a fake smile, obviously so to anyone who knew me, but these people didn't truly know me.

They all smiled back.

"Don't worry. I have plans for that." I said, reaching down to grab Jessie's hand that was still resting on my leg. I squeezed it too tight. I could tell by the way she wiggled her fingers in my grasp. I quickly released it.

"Do you?" My father asked. He knew I was lying. I had zero plans to marry Jessie, at least not as long as I could help it.

"Sure do. You're not getting any details, though. Nice try." I said playfully to Jessie, smirking at her.

She looked genuinely happy over this. She smiled at me and leaned in close until her shoulder was pressed right to mine. It felt like nothing. Not even a fraction of the way I felt with Arabella. It was unfair to Jessie. It made my stomach hurt. I hated that I felt guilty over everything lately. Being a good person was turning out to be a massive pain.