[34] Mumma and Ummi

Mona had taken Talia to the comfy corner of the shop, away from the rest of the customers and it was quite clear that the girl was delighted to spend time with Talia. Dora thought of joining the two a while later, giving them time to talk freely since they had met after so long.

On the other hand, Andrea had been very surprised by what she had just seen. And as usual, she couldn't hold her curiosity in for much longer, "isn't that Talia Al Ghul?"

"Yes," Dora replied as she set another tray of cookies, "you know her?"

"Not for the right reasons, I'm afraid," light brown eyes had trailed towards the comfy corner, watching Talia and Mona, "what surprises me is that you know her and so does Mona."

"She's Damian's mother," she remarked lightly as if trying to brush away Andrea's concern, "we've met her before too."

"And are you going to pretend it's perfectly normal for your daughter to address her as Ummi?"

She stiffened, not knowing how to respond to that question. Andrea's eyes were focused on her by then, expecting an answer. "I'll just be back, Aunt Andy."

Andrea had sensed that her niece didn't want to talk about it further so she nodded while Dora stepped out, leaving the question unanswered.

Some things had struck her as odd about Mona from the very beginning but right then a few of her suspicions had started to clear up. She doubted that Mona was perhaps not Dora's biological daughter and as she watched her and Talia together, that doubt strengthened.

Mona looked like an exact carbon copy of her father Tim but didn't resemble Dora in the least. Instead, her eyes had flecks of a distinct emerald shade that Andrea had only seen in the Al Ghuls. 

All the missing puzzle pieces were connecting as she concluded.

Mona was definitely related to the Al Ghuls and had been raised as an assassin. Because no average child could have picked up on Andrea keeping watch over her and her friends weeks ago. 

But then she could also see that Dora knew the truth but had willingly adopted Mona so perhaps it didn't make any difference to her on who the real mother was. Deep down Andrea had a feeling the mother couldn't be Talia but with her past clashes with the woman and her equally lethal family, she couldn't be perfectly certain.

So far her niece seemed to be on pleasant terms with the Demon Head, a fact she hadn't expected in the least. The only link joining the two seemed to be Mona and that made her wonder more whether her suspicion regarding Mona being an Al Ghul was correct or not.

***

Dora had taken a tray of coffee and cupcakes to the comfy corner for both Talia and Mona, coffee brown eyes connecting with sharp emerald as she stepped closer. Talia recognized Isadora immediately since she had seen her with Tim and Mona the last time she had come to visit.

"I hope you're doing well," Dora spoke politely, placing down the tray on the table.

Talia knew the young woman felt intimidated by her so she tried to soften her voice as she spoke, "thank you, I appreciate it."

Dora would have left but she caused her to stay.

"Isadora, I would love to know the woman my Mona thinks of so highly," she resumed in a soft tone, "please don't be intimidated. I am genuinely thankful to you for taking care of Mona and loving her as a mother should. And I respect you for that."

The smile on Talia's lips was welcoming and not indicating any sort of threat so Dora paused, changing her mind to leave immediately. "Um... You're welcome?"

"Sit down, dear," she extended her hand towards her, "and I don't know what you might have heard about me to make you uncomfortable in my presence. But I assure you that I mean you no harm."

"I... I know that." 

However, Mona looked delighted to see both the women interact pleasantly hence Dora stayed, sitting down on the couch on Mona's left side. And though she had felt awkward at first, Talia was excellent in mending the conversation breach, soon enough making Dora feel somewhat comfortable around her.

Eventually, she adjusted and began conversing with her quite normally, as if the woman in front of her wasn't the Demon Head of the League of Assassins but just another person who was very close to Mona.

For that short time, Talia almost forgot the truth too, finding that normalcy was almost enticing. She longed to be able to live a normal life like the young woman in front of her who had married the man she loved dearly and had also accepted Mona as her daughter.

In a sense, Dora had everything Talia had sacrificed for the rank of the Demon Head. And though it could have made her envious, right then she chose to look past it, accepting that what had passed could not be changed and she had to face her battles on her own.

"It was a pleasure getting to know you," Talia smiled, emerald eyes softening as she looked at Dora who had stood up to leave, "I am glad Mona has such a sweet and genuine person to look after her."

She nodded, a smile gracing her lips as well, "it was a pleasure for me to meet you too, uh..."

"You can call me Talia," the woman interjected, realizing why she had paused.

"Sure, pleasure meeting you too, Talia," Dora resumed, "I have to leave now because the rush hour is about to start and I'll be needed in the kitchen. Mona can stay with you for as long as she likes."

Mona got down from the bed, hugging Dora tightly, "thank you, I really wanted to stay with Ummi."

"I know, sweetheart, you can stay with her. And you can take her upstairs to our room if you want to. Since there are going to be a lot of customers here shortly, it would be better if you both go up."

"Sure thing, Mumma," she smiled, letting go of her at last, "I love you, you're the best."

***