California Part III

Comincia dall'inizio

Both, you are going to eat with us and then I will give you the keys.

"Alright..."

"So tell us Alex about your brand new famous boyfriend. I see you are enjoying being the Avengers pet."

I don't think I can get through this without snapping at her.

"Tienes novio? Quien es?"

The waiter comes with my cup of fresh brewed coffee, and asks if we are ready to order.

"We are." Julia decides.

My cousin orders for her and her mom, and I pick the first thing in the menu. I am not an picky eater, so anything they bring out should be fine.

After the order is in and the waiter is gone, Julia and my aunt stare at me, waiting for my answer.

"Mi novio es Steve Rogers tía, pero usted lo conocería como El Capitan America." I tell her.

//my boyfriend is Steve Rogers, aunt, but you would know him as Captain America.//

I add a couple of sugar cubes to my coffee and a splash of cream.

"El que tiene el martillo o el que tiene el escudo?"

"Escudo."

"Ah me gusta mas el del martillo."

I can't help but laugh.

"How did you do it?" Julia narrows her eyes, as if suddenly she will find something different with my face.

"I did nothing Julia, we fell in love like you did with... Oscar? Yeah Oscar."

I have never met her fiancé before, so it's kind of easy to forget his name.

"I guess love is the only way to explain it." She shakes her head.

My god give me patience. I don't deign to answer to that, instead I shift my focus to the food that the waiter is bringing.

French toasts and crapes topped the berries and freshly whipped cream, delicately drizzle with honey.

"French Toast for the mademoiselles, crepes for the manque."

The food gives me the best excuse to not  talk. However, Julia is not deterred from keeping the conversation on her own.

"I saw the pictures from the Forth of July celebration." She says after taking a bite. "Who designed the gown you were wearing?"

"I am not really sure, Natasha got me a few dresses to pick from."

"Wait, how did you know it is me? As far as I know nothing has come up in the news with my name."

"Oh come on Ale, it is not like I don't know who you are. I see your pictures, I can put one and one together."

"You are awfully too concern with my life for someone that never wanted to be in it." I finally snap.

She doesn't like it, of course.

"You are the one that moved away."

"You made my life miserable, Julia. You made me cry every time your mom or Riley turned around."

"You cried because you were weak! I wanted to help you! To stop hurting so much."

"How does that make any sense?"

Julia advert her sight, Tia Clara is quiet, this is all news to her. An array of emotions cross Julia's face; first is pride, she does not want to admit she is wrong, then is confusion, she doesn't understand where she went wrong, and lastly...