Questions and Accusations

Start from the beginning

“We were on patrol and this drunk guy approached me thinking I was working. I refused him, but he grabbed my arm, so I blinded him. He started accusing me of being a witch!” My signing became more rushed as I told the story, all my emotions bubbling to the surface. “I had to run away and I ended up in an alleyway. Druig almost gave away my location. We hid and when the mob approached, I needed a diversion, so I…” I paused, hands freezing midair. 

“You what?” Makkari urged. 

“I kissed him, tried to blend in. And then I accidentally bit his lip.”

“Kinky.”

“Makkari!”

“Sorry. Go on.”

“That’s the end of my story.”

“No it’s not.” 

I tilted my head in confusion, “yes, it is.”

“Tell me about the kiss. Did you like it? Did he kiss you back? Do you wanna do it again?” she asked eagerly, grinning madly. 

“I don’t want to talk about it.”

“So, you liked it.”

“I never said that.”

“Didn’t have to. I know you, Eri. Your eyes are crinkled like you're focused on deciphering your thoughts and feelings, your cheeks are pink, and you haven’t stopped fidgeting. You felt something in that kiss, you’re just too afraid or too stubborn to admit it.”

She was right of course, I had felt something in that kiss despite the circumstances surrounding it; despite the fact he hadn’t kissed me back; despite my focus being on escaping the witch hunters. The only question was, what had I felt?

“I don’t know. It wasn’t a proper kiss; it wasn’t romantic or sensual or friendly…it wasn’t anything, really.” 

“You should try again.”

“Are you insane? How would I do that?”

“Just ask him.”

“Yeah, sure, I could ask him. ‘Hey, Druig, remember when I kissed you to hide from people accusing me of witchcraft? Well now my mind is fucked and I need to do it again,’ or something like that,” I rebuked.

“Okay, maybe not. Just talk to him. Maybe he felt something, too.” 

“I can’t, I don’t want things to get weird.”

“Too late.”

I headed for the door, stopping briefly to squeeze her hand. “Thank you.” 

The walk to my room was agonizing, my heartbeat quickening with every step. My hands shook as I reached for my door handle. I took a deep breath and opened it. Druig was lounging on my bed, legs extended and crossed, hands behind his head, eyes closed. 

“How are you so relaxed right now? I feel like my heart is about to explode,” I sighed, closing the door behind me. 

“I tend to have that effect on people,” he grinned. 

“Don’t flatter yourself. I don’t like lying to Ajak.”

“You really want everyone to know that you bit me while on the run from witch hunters?” he retorted. 

“No,” I mumbled. 

“Then we stick with my story.”

“I’ll try my best. Now, let me see your lip.”