21

"Where is he?" Sam asked, looking at Bucky and Nat when Steve didn't appear back on the platform when he was supposed to.

"I dunno he flew right past his time stamp!" Bruce began to panic, pushing some buttons while Tony rolled his eyes at the inconvenience.

"Get him back!" Sam ordered.

Tony looked up from the console. "You don't think we're trying!" and punched in some more things. "FRIDAY, can you get me a location?"

"Negative. Captain Rogers tracker has been disabled."

"WHAT!" Nat exploded and stormed over to the machine console. "That's not right, why the hell would he disable his tracker!"

"Oh so you think he did it on purpose!" Tony argued back.

Bucky sighed and turned away from where they were arguing and panicking, then seeing a familiar figure standing just outside of the clearing that they were in and looking out onto the lake. "Sam!" he called back.

Sam came and stood by his side. "How the hell..." He trailed off.

"Go ahead..." Bucky nodded.

Nat joined him while Sam went to see what was going on. "How is that even possible?" She asked with some disbelief. 

"I dunno, but I guess we'll find out."

"Steve?" Sam approached his friend who stood there, hands in pockets and watching out onto the lake. "Did you get lost or something? You missed your time stamp and then Banner said the tracker had disabled."

Steve looked to him and smiled knowingly. "I know, coz I disabled it."

"Why?"

"I had a few things I needed to clear up. I didn't wanna waste any more time than I already have."

Only then did Sam spot the ring on his finger and smirked. "You brought her back didn't you?" and saw his friend nod. "How?"

"Made a deal, stone for a soul. Wasn't easy but I wasn't about to take that thing back and leave there without her Sam."

"So where is she?" Sam looked around for any sign of Aster, but found none.

"At home, which reminds me – I've got something to give you." He retrieved the shield from behind the bench next to them.

The others watched on as Steve passed it to Sam, handing over the mantle of Captain America to him. "I've got a new mission now, a different kind of duty. But I'm gonna need someone to keep this going."

"And what about you?"

"I'll still be here if you ever need me. You're the right one to carry this Sam. Don't let me down."

Sam took the shield and tried it on his arm. "Feels like it's someone else's."

"So make it your own." 

"Thank you." He nodded and looked back at Bucky who was also looking like he was in agreement with his best friend's choice. "So is this it? The last goodbye?"

"Not the last, but for now."

Sam smirked. "You tell Aster that big bird says hi."

With a chuckle, Steve agreed to do just that. 

The others ventured down towards them and gathered around. "You ditching us because you finally got some of that life I told you to get?" Tony asked.

"Pretty much." Steve smiled.

"Good." Tony mirrored his expression and gave him one last hug. "Don't be a stranger. Same goes for Aster. Don't think that just because you're retiring that we won't hunt your ass down and ask you to tag along for some missions."

Nat's turn was next, "I'm glad you got her back." She whispered.

"Me too." Steve murmured, "She says sorry for paralysing you and Clint, but apparently it was worth it."

"Yeah well, I think I can let that slide." Nat laughed lightly and wiped her eyes, seemingly upset that she wouldn't be seeing her friend as much anymore. "Tony's planning a massive compound warming for when it's rebuilt. You're coming whether you like it or not."

"You gonna try and kick my ass if I don't show, Romanoff?"

"You bet I will."

Once he was done with his goodbyes, Steve turned and walked away for the final time. Back to the place he called home where inside lay his future.