7

It's two weeks before Steve returns one evening, I look through the peephole before letting him in and quickly closing the door. He's soaked through from where it's raining heavily outside. The weather hasn't been the best. Some nights the room is stuffy and others it's draughty – a bit like tonight.

I'm almost at the point of breaking into the files that have been the hardest I've come across. But it's government protected. Their security systems may be strong, but I'm a better hacker. I just need one more day...

"You look like crap." I state helpfully to which I'm met with a rather unimpressed look. He does, but somehow manages to look incredibly gorgeous at the same time. He's injured too; so I'll have to see to that.

"Thanks. Hi to you too..." He retorts, taking off his gloves and heading straight to make himself a drink. "See you're still alive."

"Just because you're not here it doesn't mean I'm going to spontaneously combust." I huff and flop back down on the bed. "Soooooo, see you've got a nice cut on your face. Want me to crack out the first aid kit?"

He shakes his head. "It's not that bad."

"Sit down Cap." I sigh and get the kit from my bag, taking some sterile wipes and now working on his head as he sits down on the end of the bed. Droplets of rain are still falling from his hair.

I sense his eyes flicker up to look at me, as I concentrate on cleaning the cut. "You don't have to do this Aster."

My eyes meet with his. "I don't...but I want to." And then they return back to the cut and making sure it's clean and that he's not gonna keel over and die from infection. He's a super solider though, and by tomorrow it probably won't be noticeable. "Anything else I should know? Broken ribs? Blah, blah, blah."

"Nope, just that..." He replies as I take another wipe and clean the dirt from around the area. Steve now takes my wrist gently and pulls it way. "I'm sure it's fine."

I nod and say nothing, throwing the used wipes into the trash can and packing the kit back up. "Well, you should take a shower anyway...you'll probably feel better after. I have to say it's a better one than some of the other dives we've stayed in."

He chuckles and removes the top half of the suit and the white top underneath it, leaving just his trousers on. He must notice how quickly I look away. "You do realise you've seen it all before." True, however it's something I still have to get used to.

"Yes well...you still need privacy..." I say, not looking at him and keeping my focus on putting my things away. "Clean towels are in there, the maid dropped them off this morning. Good thing too."

He takes a change of clothes in with him and disappears to wash off the stress that was Fury's latest mission.

I lay back down on the bed and turn off the air con. It may have been warm and uncomfortable earlier but now it's draughty as hell. "Now you look much improved." I smirk as he emerges from the bathroom and put the controller on the table beside me.

"Yeah, now I need to sleep for a week." He chuckles and lays down next to me, groaning slightly as his body connects with the mattress. "That's better."

It's at this point that I decide to turn off the light and settle down next to him, listening as the constant whirring of the air con unit kept going. "Did you miss me?" my words are playful through the now darkened room. 

"That a trick question?"

I turn onto my side to face him, finding that he was already doing the same to me. "Yes...yes it is."

He shakes his head with a small smile. "Well as you replied to me when I checked in, I knew you were fine."

"Not fine enough to take off on my own though." I state with a little bitterness. "At one point I was raring to get back to DC just to drop in on the General, but I didn't."