The Verge of Greatness - 4

The next day of practice was not as fun. Gordon Bombay began the practice in an unconventional way, pushing the group together in a clump, and tying a rope around them.

"This is more crowded than a truckload of goats," explained Dwayne. Nobody on the Ducks besides Dwayne had ever experienced this.

"Somebody better watch their hands," stated Julie.

"Likewise," Indiana exclaimed, looking behind her at Portman who shrugged innocently.

"Yeah, someone licked me," stated Averman.

"Oh, I smell something," various players began to express their newfound smell. The group turned to Goldberg, blaming him instantly.

"It wasn't me!" Goldberg exclaimed.

"No, it was me!" Portman stated, raising his hands up in the air. The group groaned once again.

"Why would you admit that?" Groaned Indiana, who was growing tired of Portman's antics. Portman played a brand of hockey that Indiana wasn't familiar with. Checking was normal when she played on men's teams, but women's teams weren't allowed to check for whatever reason. However, Portman's checks seemed borderline legal, and the intent always seemed to injure. As Bombay once said, Portman was a true goon.

Bombay blew his whistle, "I don't know how to make this any clearer. You are a team. And to win this thing, you have to work as one. Now as one, skate." The group began to skate in different directions, causing everyone to topple over onto one another. "Everyone goes their own way, everyone falls down. Now get up and try it again." It took every player a few minutes to get up, as they were so close together that it made any kind of vertical movement nearly impossible.

Portman took the lead, instructing, "All right, all of you move to your right. Now." The group followed instructions, shuffling to the right.

"Who made you boss? Everyone to the left," said Fulton, who had been clearly struggling since the emergence of Portman. Fulton played a hard-hitting kind of hockey, but Portman's physicality was on another level. Following one boy's instructions or the other, half of the group shuffled left before everyone fell on top of each other yet again. Indiana fell flat onto Banks, who put his hands up in order to stop her from falling onto him directly. He then lowered her down next to him.

"Thanks," said Indiana, not willing to look the boy in the eyes out of embarrassment.

"Anytime," said Banks, who quickly turned his attention elsewhere.

"You guys can argue all you want but I'm not untying you until you move as one," stated Bombay, arms crossed across his chest.

"This feels dangerous. Does anyone else think this is dangerous?" Asked Averman, who was ignored by the majority of the players.

"Can we all just agree to go straight?" Asked Indiana as she got back to her feet, frustrated. The two groups finally agreed to work together.

Moments later, the group began to walk in a straight line. "Communication, that's it! Move together, charge! Right turn!" Bombay instructed, pointing out with his arm. The group nodded, turning right slowly as a group. After finally becoming untied, the group took a knee as Bombay grabbed a rope from the ice. "You guys are starting to look like hockey players. I'm proud of ya, team. You worked hard today-- but hockey should also be fun. Rancher Dwayne?"

"Yes sir," Dwayne responded.

"Round me up some stray cattle there," Bombay instructed, passing him the rope.

"My pleasure," Dwayne stated. The players took off ahead of him, all attempting to stay out of his way. Averman became Dwayne's first target, Dwayne roping him instantly. Julie and Indiana stayed together, avoiding Dwayne at all costs. Charlie was next, followed by Julie.

"No, we lost her!" Indiana dramatically stated, rushing away from Dwayne who had made her his next target. He turned his attention to Connie, who was only a few steps in front of Dwayne. Dwayne wound up, but Indiana had grabbed Connie's hand and pulled her forward, causing Dwayne to miss the girl.

"My savior," dramatized Connie, holding her hand over her heart. The two girls continued to stray from Dwayne, who was twirling the rope in the air.

Adam slowly caught up with the girls, encouraging them to go faster. As Dwayne caught up to the girls and Adam, Adam wrapped his arms around Indiana's shoulders, slowing her.

"Adam, what are you--" Adam stopped the girl, apologizing briefly before pushing her towards Dwayne, which allowed for him to catch her with the rope. The girl looked at Adam, smiling in disbelief.

Adam spun on his skates, smirking back at the girl as he skated backwards, "Every man for himself!" He yelled, causing Indiana to roll her eyes. Boys.

Eventually, each player had been caught by Dwayne, who raised his hands and cheered victoriously. Dwayne later took the group through a dance, leading the way and instructing them on their moves. Each person began to dance, Bombay included, giving some confidence that maybe both the newcomers and the old Ducks would be able to get along after all.

After practice, Mr. Tibbles invited the group to the conference room, where he unveiled a large box of Wheaties with Team USA's picture on it.

"Today it's a Wheaties box. Tomorrow it's video games, action figures, lunch boxes. The sky's the limit. Now just to make sure everybody knows who you are, try on one of these," Tibbles took a red, white, and blue jersey out of a box, handing them out to the players. "Brought to you by those wonderful people at Hendrix for all your hockey needs."

Portman grabbed a jersey from the box, turning it to inspect the back, "Indiana, catch!" Said Portman, tossing Indiana's jersey to her.

"Nice, you got sixty," remarked Julie. Julie was quickly thrown her jersey, being given number six.

"That's nice, coach, but we're Ducks. This stuff says Hendrix all over it," Charlie complained. Charlie was not a fan of change, especially when it had to do with something as important to him as the Ducks. Despite him being nostalgic, he was fairly welcoming to most of the newcomers.

"Well, yeah. They're our sponsors, Charlie," explained Bombay.

"Can't we be USA Ducks? Or at least keep our own colors?" Charlie asked.

"It's business stuff, Charlie. Don't worry about it," Bombay shrugged off Charlie's dismay.

"They're not exactly Maine jerseys either," Indiana pointed out. "I get how you feel. It's just for a few weeks." Indiana shrugged, offering Charlie a smile.

"You're probably right," Charlie hummed, smiling back at her.

"USA Ducks would be pretty cool, though," Indiana stated, causing Charlie to laugh. "Plus, it's not like you have to leave them behind. Hell, most of the Ducks are still playing with you."

Charlie smiled, "Thanks, Indiana. I needed to hear that." Indiana smiled back at the boy, understanding exactly how he felt. At the end of the day, they were all just kids who wanted to hold onto their childhood for as long as they could.

Later in the day, the group had to join Miss MacKay by the lake for an outdoor class. "Ancient Greece was the beginning of Western civilization. See, in Greece, they didn't have professional sports, or Wheaties boxes. So, the athletes competed for another reason. Anybody?" Miss MacKay asked.

"Falafels?" Asked Goldberg.

"You wish, Goldberg."

"Goldie, stop making me hungry," said Indiana, laying back into the sun.

Miss MacKay chose Charlie to answer, "Pride."

"That's right. The various city-states waved their flags and wore their home colors proudly," explained Miss MacKay.

"Did America always dominate?" Asked Fulton, causing the players to chuckle.

"That's a good question," backed Portman.

"No, America wasn't around back then. Don't forget that compared to other countries, America is still young, still forming its own identity. America is a teenager just like you," stated Miss MacKay.

"Like us?" Asked Jesse.

"You bet. A little awkward at times, but always right there on the verge of greatness."