I just took a seat in the chair, patting his shirt under my butt and sitting down.

It felt weird to be in a room such as this one without anyone in it. Since I was born into a poor family, I never really gotten the chance to see such a beautiful place. 

I pulled my phone out of Christian's shorts, and went to text my mom. 

I'll be able to let you come to New York for my break. I texted her that exact sentence. My mother always had her phone near her. So in less than a minute, she replied.

Mama : Well that's amazing, when do you plan on having me? 

I smile looking at my screen. I haven't seen my mother in the last 3 years of my life. I only made enough money to go to school. No extra things, such as plane tickets, or luxury items. 

I've always been lower class, but I've never had a problem. I wanted to become something and rise from the ground from nothing to everything.

I hoped one day my career would give me more than enough money to be able to bring my mother to me and back without thinking twice.

My mother has never been out of the city before. So that's why I wanted her to come here for the time I had break.

I would have her stay at a hotel if someone does end up taking the extra bedroom before she gets here. Or she can stay in my apartment with me.

Me : My break is in a month. So I'll have you come then.

Mama : Alright, that's perfect.

I know both me and her were more than excited to see each other.  

I smiled down at my phone one last time before observing over Carlos's contact.

I don't know if I want him to come here. I want to spent time with my mom. Not have to worry about whether I'm giving Carlos enough attention. Even when I did live in Canada, I had to be around Carlos all the time. 

Or else he would freak out, and assume that I was cheating.

I used to want a boyfriend that was clingy. You know the type who would carry you out of a crowd of people because they missed me.

But I kinda got that, but in the worst way.

Anytime I was chatting with a classmate of mine in college. Carlos's first thought was always, 'she's cheating on me'." Maybe it was because he was insecure. I'm not completely sure. But it drove me mad.

That was the best part of moving away.

I could make up any random excuse to not talk to him. And he would be left only to believe it.

Now the big question has always been, 'why don't you break up with him?'. Well easier said than done.

I had the thought about breaking up with Carlos a long time ago. He was constantly chasing after me about any little thing that could have a simple expiation.  

He would take any simple situation and turn it into something no one would think of. Those moments I had wished, I had the courage to just call it off.

But then every time I think about how much he helped me and my mom, I can't bring my heart to do it.

He helped me and my mom moved into a better area. He was the full reason she has a good place to stay right now.

He always came over, made food even if he wasn't the best cook. He would clean the living space with us. He made my mom laugh in ways only so many people can.

Her smile had never been so pure in a very long time. And when Carlos walked into our life, it was as if everything fell right into place.

I can't sacrifice my mom's happiness for my greed.