The Bronze Man

Upon the sea raiders was visited great and terrible slaughter, and they were driven forth into the sea where but a remnant were able to escape upon their painted ships.  And they gathered forth the spoils of victory, and piled them high; weapons and armour, gold and silver beyond counting.

Awn helped the grimacing Taenar to his feet, one hand clenched tight to his left arm where blood flowed freely.

“How bad is it?” Awn asked.

“Spear went right through,” Taenar replied through clenched teeth.  “Bind it up before I bleed to death.”

A chariot pulled up nearby and Ravaian dismounted, striding over to join them.  “Taenar, Awn, I see you survived.”

“Only just,” Awn replied with a half smile.  “Only just.”

“They have fled back to the beach.  Best to take the men and see them off before they regroup.”  He paused. “Will you be okay Taenar?”

“Should be.  Should keep the use of my arm too."

“In that case you can take care of this lot,” he announced, gesturing to where surrendered Chelosians milled about, “And also gather up the spoils.  Coming Awn?”

“Wouldn’t miss it.  There are a lot of spoils to collect.”

Taenar laughed, before he visibly winced.  “Don’t worry cousin; you will get your share.”

They travelled undisturbed down to the beach, through the woods that no Chelosian remained in.  The beach had been abandoned, but much of the camp remained.  A dozen ships lay still upon the sands, the rest rowing out to see.

“Not enough men left to save all their ships I see,” Ravaian noted.

“Surprised they didn’t burn them then,” Awn said, bending down to pick up an abandoned shield.  He inspected it then tossed it aside, adding to a growing collection.

“They appeared in something of a rush.  May not have had the time to torch them.”

Awn nodded, watching as a half dozen Minotaurs walked along the beach, blood stained mauls across their shoulders.  One, slightly shorter than the others and with a hide of pure white, now splashed with blood, led them.  All were daubed with war paint, across their faces and horns.  “I did not expect to see any of them here.  I did not expect to see you either.”

“I had hired a clan to work on a building for me.  Best stone workers you can find.  When word came to us of the Chelosians, they offered to help and wouldn’t take no for an answer.  We had heard the Chelosians were planning a raid, a big one, so we had already assembled before they landed here.”

“We were lucky you had, though I must say I am a little disappointed you didn’t call for us.”

“We were going to.  As we moved south, we gathered more men.  When the ships passed us, I though we were to be too late, but they landed here instead of further south where we could not have reached in time.”   He grinned then called out.  “Kwaza!”

The white Minotaur turned, before changing direction towards Ravaian and Awn, the other bulky Minotaur warriors following.

“Kwaza Matoba” Ravaian greeted respectfully, “I have not until now had a chance to thank your people for their aid.  Without it this victory would not have been possible.”

Matoba’s ear twitched and then he spoke, his voice deep.  “You honour us High King, though I believe you over state our efforts.”

“Nonsense.  I doubt even Awn here could match your warriors.” 

Matoba turned to study Awn, and then inclined his horn-tipped head slightly.  “You are the one they call Awn the Red?”

“I am.”

“We hear you are a great warrior.”

“So some tell me, but from what I saw, even I would struggle against a warrior of the Minotaurs.”  A number of the Minotaurs tapped the ground with their hooves and Matoba laughed, different sounding from that of a human, but a laugh still.

“High King, we have been discussing the best way to mark this battle, in remembrance of those that fell and as a warning for those who may wish to try again.”  He gestured to the headland that over looked the bay.  “We will build there a statue of stone so that all may see it and know of the deeds of this day.”

“That is a worthy suggestion, friend Matoba.  We have collected up great spoils from the foe, shields and spears and swords beyond count.  We will beat them down and once your statue is complete we shall cover your statue so that it will blaze in the sun like nothing seen before.”

Awn laughed loudly.  “I like the idea.  But what of the ships?” he added.

“To tell the truth, I had not though much of them.”

“I have.  For as long as the Chelosians have ships, they can raid our lands at will.  Why not take these ships and use them ourselves?  This bay is suited to house them, so we could sail from here to meet them at sea, or even raid their lands.”

Ravaian stared at Awn then slowly shook his head.  “You are mad Awn.  Do you know anything about ships and sailing?”

“No, but how hard could it be?”

Ravaian laughed with genuine amusement.  “Harder than you could imagine, I shouldn’t doubt.  But if you are set upon it, we shall make it work.”

Awn’s grin was broad, even predatory.  “The wolves will go out to the sea and the Chelosians will come to know fear.”

Ravaian laughed again, clapping Awn on the shoulder.  “Come then my friend, if we are to do this then there will much work to be done.”

So it came to be that upon the high places that looked over the sea a Man of Bronze was raised, a beacon of hope, but a portent of dread for any Chelosian who happened passed and saw it gleaming from far out to sea.  And from beneath its unyielding gaze did venture forth the ships of Awn to visit upon the foes of the Maedar retribution, for the Wolves of Maedar had taken to the seas.