Chapter XIII: Alice and Her Cookies

Albedo showed Kaeya around the cave. It was full of old alchemy equipment and littered with books.

It seemed as if this place had been used by travelers for cover during snowstorms.

The cave was warm and snug as it was littered with burning coals and tucked away from the harsh Dragonspine wind.

"I think we should go back to Mondstadt. It's warmer there and we could eat macarons..." Kaeya said, staring at Albedo as he perked up at the mention of the cookie.

"B-but I still don't feel... um, safe enough..." Albedo stuttered, tucking his head back into Kaeya's chest.

"I'll protect you, I promise. And you know that little girl we sometimes see when we're with Jean and Lisa? The red, burny girl as you said?"

The blond nodded, picturing the small girl sulking in that dark room next to the headmaster's office.

"Well, her mom, Alice, is coming back today or tomorrow and you can meet her." Kaeya whispered, hugging Albedo close to him. "She's the one who makes those macarons you love so much."

"Really!? So I can meet her and she can make me as many cookies as I want?" Kaeya chuckled and took a seat behind the dusty and cluttered desk in the cave, bringing Albedo down with him to sit on his lap.

"If she wants to. I can't promise anything. You'll just have to wait and see."

"Yes! Let's go! We need to go see her, right now! Please Kaeya?" The blond boy pleaded, staring at the captain with puppy dog eyes and jutting his bottom lip out in a pout.

Kaeya pinched his cheeks before cupping his face with large hands. He laughed along with Albedo.

"Stoh pinhing ma cheks Kaya..." the blond tried slapping the captain's hands away.

"How about no. You're just so cute. This is what you get for scaring me shitless." He chuckled, letting go of Albedo's cheeks and scooping him back up into his arms.

"You wanna go now to see if she's back?"

"Yes! Yes yes I wanna go." Albedo giggled, snuggling close to Kaeya's chest, loving his warmth.

If Kaeya hadn't already been holding the boy, he would've ran up to him and kissed the life out of him.

-

The two made it back to Mondstadt, only running into a group of hilichurls once. They were easily defeated though, due to Kaeya's trustworthy swordsmanship and the help of Albedo's new vision.

Warm air surrounded them as they stepped off of Dragonspine land. Albedo walked a bit once the snowy ground turned to green grass, although he preferred to be carried by Kaeya.

"You doing okay? Not tired yet?" Kaeya asked once and a while, checking in with his blond prince.

"Yep! Just a little hungry..." Albedo stared at his sightly growling stomach. He saw the captain stray from the path they were on only to come back with a few yellow berries and sunsettia fruit in hand.

"These will help." He stated, handing Albedo some of the food, to which he gobbled them up rather quickly.

Kaeya laughed once he pulled his hands away, giving a confused look. The captain came close to him, placing a hand under his chin and taking his other to wipe off the yellow juice the berries left on his face.

Albedo flushed, looking anywhere but Kaeya's eyes as the ravenette pressed his thumb into his mouth and licked the juice.

"S-stop..." the blond stuttered, reaching up to Kaeya so he could be picked up by him. When the captain lifted him, Albedo shoved his face into the junction between Kaeya's neck and shoulder.