That mystery girl is really good. I was sitting pretty much right in front of the high jump so I saw her competing. She won easily. Alex disappeared for the long jump sometime during the day in which she came 6th.

Lunch came around quickly and I sat with Felicity, Alex and some other athletes. We talked about results from the day and things that has happened around school. After lunch was devoted to the running events starting with the long distance and getting shorter. This meant that I have the 200 then the 100 and then the relay.

I watched people line up for the 1500m being the longest race that we run. There was probably about 7 girls and 8 boys in our age group. The boys were first and some guy from Eastside won. Not surprising as Alex said that they have the best runners.

The girls’ race wasn’t close. That mystery girl won easily with a pace that no one could keep up. Felicity said that Tess does all the races other than the 1500 so the next few races should be interesting.

The 800m was next. Tess and that mystery girl took off at the pace that no one else could keep up with. Tess was just in front going into the second and final lap. The mystery girl pulled aside her but slipped behind as they went around the corner. She pulled beside her again with 200m left.

The pace quicken as they approached the last 100m. The mystery girl pulled ahead and Tess couldn’t quite keep up with the pace. The mystery girl won which was good for our school. She collapsed at the finish line and Tess sat down next to her. They talked for a minute and laughed before moving out of the way so that the guys could start.

Soon Alex, Felicity and the other girl Sara and I were walking down for the 200m. We have heats, then the top four go onto the next round and then the top 2 go to the final. Each school can have 5 runners in each division so there is us four plus mystery girl who won the 400m as well. I don’t have anyone until the final except for meeting Sara in the second round if we both qualify.

The first round I won easily. All the girls from our school qualified. I won the round after but Sara didn’t qualify for the final. Neither did Alex but Felicity did and so mystery girl. I was in lane 2 as we lined up.

I focused on my breathing as we got called to start. The gun went and I started to run. I tried really hard to block all the other runners out but I could see Tess and mystery girl in front of me. I came in third with mystery girl winning and Felicity was 6th.

The 100m was run in the same way and the results were basically the same with me coming third again. This was the race that Tess came closest to winning but mystery girl won my about three inches.

Our school gathered for the 100m relay. Mystery girl was off running the 400m relay which our school came 3rd in. I was going to be first runner which I liked because it meant that I could watch the final person come in.

We were in the 3rd lane. That was good because it meant that the corner wasn’t as tight. The gun went and I sprinted down the track. Felicity appeared in sight and I slowed slightly so that I could safely hand her the baton. I lightly jogged towards the finish line to see the finish. Tess was just getting handed the baton as I reached the line. Alex handed mystery girl the baton about 3 feet behind.

Our whole school was on our feet as mystery girl sprinted after Tess. Mystery girl just got past her so that we won. Mystery girl lightly hit Tess across the chest and they laughed. One of the Eastside boys came up and laughed with both the girls.

We came a very close second overall losing to Eastside. I walked home with Alex as she lives quite near to me. My Mom is sitting at the kitchen bench with my younger brother Sam. They both turned to talk to me as I came in but I ignored both of them.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Sorry for the late and short update. What do you think of the book so far?

Comment and Vote

The Wise One