Chapter I

"Emily is so obnoxious! Like how does anyone even stand her. She doesn't even talk to me anymore like what the heck?" The tall girl gesticulated wildly and her hair cascaded down her back as she spoke unnecessarily loudly into her phone. I swung my legs and looked out into the marina, scanning the crowd of faces in front of me. People watching was one of my many "unnormal weirdo" activities, as my sister so aptly put. In thinking about the spawn of the devil I call my sister, I glanced down at my watch. I realised I was late for picking her up from her newest obsession: tap dance. I grabbed my keys and made my way through the crowd of tourists and senior citizens that seemed to congregate right where I needed to go 100% of the time. My phone had already started buzzing from the messages that were no doubt from my sister. I could already see all 5' 3 of her, tapping her foot against the concrete and complaining loudly to her friends how inefficient her older "and weirder" sister was. I didn't mind this of course, as it was, Annalisa was born judgemental. I remember her first real conversations were questioning why the room was so cold or why she couldn't get another cookie. I turned the key in the ignition and the engine roared into life. Even though the car sounded more like a rocket ship taking off than a car, it was mine and it let me get out of the house, even if it was just to the Waffle House and stare at the mildew creeping up the walls. I turned the corner to the dance studio and there she was, just as I expected, tapping her foot and fuming. "You're like, eighteen minutes late Skye." She pulled the door shut with a bang. "I'm not your taxi service," I muttered under my breath, stepping on the gas. She opened a compact mirror and began applying copious amounts of eyeliner to the rims of her eyes. "Hot date tonight?" I inquired, hiking an eyebrow. She just snorted and snapped the mirror shut. "Like you would know. Do you even date?"
I blushed at her words and pressed harder on the gas pedal. "Where to next princess Annalisa?" She smirked. "Just take me to the strip mall."