19. Conversations

Cassie sat with Heather on the lawn, their schoolbooks open on the grass in front of them. I meant only to wave as I passed by on my way back up to the castle from Herbology, but they enthusiastically beckoned me over. I looked up. It was a clear day, warm and sunny. I relented without much pressure and joined them by the lake.

"We were just talking about you," said Heather.

Cassie nodded. "Good things. In conjunction with Quidditch. I can't believe we're through to the finals."

"Well, with all our hard work, we earned it," I said.

Cassie smiled. "Spoken like a true captain. Come on. You must have had some doubts down the line. Mainly about me, I'm sure."

I shrugged.

"I'll take that as a yes."

"It's amazing how far we've come," said Heather.

Cassie nodded enthusiastically. "I know. I could barely ride a broom before Esther started meeting with me privately."

"Don't put yourself down," I said.

"It doesn't really matter now, though, does it?" Cassie asked. "I've caught the snitch and helped trick Beard last game. Surely I've improved enough to scorn my past self?"

Heather changed the topic. "Speaking of Quidditch, how's Hugo? I haven't seen him around. Is he out of the hospital wing yet?"

"Should be, later today," said Cassie. "We're waiting for the last of the Skelegro to work now."

The topic of the conversation changed, leaving me feeling out of place as they spoke about the drama of the younger years, of people that I knew by sight in the hallways but nothing else about. I said goodbye and decided to skip out on the library, as I had intended to visit, and instead go straight to the dining hall for dinner.

I was overtaken by Scorpius on my way and he smiled at me, but that was all. He was surrounded by his Slytherin friends, who were laughing at something that occurred during one of their classes. I watched them go, the ends of their cloaks the last thing to sweep around the entrance to the hall.

"Esther!"

I turned on my heel and walked backwards as I located the source of the voice. It was Holly, a little way down the hall, tie askew. She jogged down the hall towards me, bag bouncing against her hip.

"Esther, I need to talk to you about something."

Holly's words jolted through me, forcing my mind through every possible explanation for them, ridiculous or otherwise. Were Hugo's injuries worse than originally thought, or had we been disqualified from the Quidditch final for some reason? Or - perhaps the best yet most terrifying prospect - had she finally discovered the secret that Sawyer has been hiding from us for so long?

I forced myself to calm down.

"I'm always here to listen," I said.

Holly grabbed me by the hand and pulled me down the corridor, away from the bustling entrance to the Great Hall. When we were safely tucked into a nook down the hallway, only the occasional latecomer passing by, she bit her lip and started to quake.

My brain worked overdrive, producing terrible scenarios as fast as it could. "Oh, Holly! What is it?"

Her hair was a mess, obscuring her face as she trembled. "I got kept back by Venables after Defense today, because my grades are so bad."

The horrific scenarios stopped at once and I was left with a nauseating realization. All of my worries had been based on the assumption that Holly had news that pertained to me. I hadn't thought that she could have wanted a confidant for something bother her. She had been so committed to helping me with Quidditch and Sawyer, the two things that were also occupying all of my mental power and energy, that I had forgotten that Holly could have worries of her own.