18. Metaphorically

"Here we go," said Heather. "Feeling good?"

Cassie tied her hair back and bit her lip. "I don't know if I -"

Mona slapped a hand on Cassie's shoulder before she could continue. "Sure you can. You caught the snitch last game, didn't you?"

I felt a smile coming but tried to suppress it as I listened.

"Only because -"

"Well, we're not allowed to foul so often anymore, but that doesn't mean you can't catch the snitch. Malfoy's broom is a lot faster than Beard's. For sure." Mona gave Cassie a sure smile and then turned to me. "Speaking of Malfoy. Don't get changed just yet, Esther. He's outside waiting for you."

"Scorpius?" I asked.

Mona nodded. "Wants to see you." She smirked. "Apparently it's urgent."

I folded my Quidditch robes back up and walked out of the room. Scorpius was waiting for me outside the locker rooms, his arms crossed over his chest.

"Hey," I said. "If you weren't aware, I've got an important match soon and I'm not yet in my robes."

"It won't take long," he said. "I just wanted to say that I was rooting for you. Good luck and that."

"Thanks. Any particular reason you needed to tell me this, though?"

"This is the semifinals, Esther."

"Yes?"

"If you win this, you'll be through to the finals. Slytherin slipped up against Ravenclaw, and Gryffindor is undefeated, remember? That means either you or Ravenclaw is going in to the finals."

My eyes probably tripled in size. "Oh."

"Were you not aware?"

"Not completely."

Scorpius smiled. "You really are a Hufflepuff."

"Through and through. In what way are you saying this time, though?"

"You want to win so badly but are so caught up in diligently working out strategies that you are in no way aware of the rankings or the enormity of the upcoming match."

"Okay, you're freaking me out now," I said. "I liked it better when you were rooting for me."

"Still am," he said. "I don't care about Ravenclaw too much and want Albus Potter's head bashed in by a bludger."

I raised my eyebrows.

"Metaphorically speaking," said Scorpius, grinning.

"Nice metaphor."

"Not entirely sure what it's a metaphor for."

"Me neither."

"Reminds me," he said. "Holly sent a message."

"Oh? Something about Ravenclaw's superiority?"

"You got it." Scorpius stuck his hands into his pockets. "You should probably go play some Quidditch, you Hufflepuff."

"Go watch some Quidditch, you Slytherin. You have to get a good view of the incredible playing that's about to happen."

"I look forward to it," he said. "Later, Dursley."

He raised his hand and saluted me before disappearing.

~~~

In a sentence; my team was working together seamlessly.

In a paragraph; Yellow streaked across the pitch, followed by a blur of blue. Cassie was the seeker being followed rather than the seeker following for once. Geronimo swooped close by, but not to foul. Instead, he inched in the way of the bludger just in time to send it spinning away, allowing Cassie to keep her focus on the snitch a few feet in front of her. Heather intercepted the bludger and targeted a Ravenclaw chaser, causing him to fumble his shot on target, making it an easy save for me. Mona soared in an arc, the quaffle landing neatly in one hand. Hugo and Oliver flanked her, driving straight through the Ravenclaw chasers and I felt ready to burst with pride.