Chapter 1 : Freedom Rings

a/n : hey y'all! long time no see it's good to be back! I'm just popping in here to say welcome to a new story I've created in my mind, and I just wanted to remind you this is a mature story so please read the tags!

Story Title: My Golden Rose

Mea rosa aurea.

Rosa pauperi. Rosa pro oblita. Rosa pro iis qui perdiderunt viam.

A rose of glorious majesty, bright red petals dipped in liquid fire, cooled by the light from the moon. The golden rose, said to be the only source of light in a lost person's mind, the granter of freedom.

The flower of the fields and the lily of the valleys.

One golden rose made each year to be granted to a lucky soul, presented by the kingdom's pride and joy, a chance at a new life and a new start. One rose, much like a ring, given to a bearer to be presented and adorned.

Gold melted from the heart of the land, greedy miners that struck too deep and made the earth bleed. Perhaps that's why they say gold possessed by a broken heart was poison, gold wanted for the wrong reasons turned the living to stone.

Even in the dead of night, the sky cracked open in brilliant white and electric blue, rain pouring down even though the monsoon season had ended long ago, the golden rose still burned bright. Not even the lights in the courtyard that dimmed with the breeze could compare, the soft rhyme of the water hitting the roof made the scene seem like a fantasy.

The prince had stood tall and proud, stories above the main courtyard as the bells that rang loud into the night to signal the patrol was back, gripping tightly onto the chiseled railing with countless jewels and rings, golden, decorated his fingers as he watched the gates open and the horses prance in.

The grunts from man and beast alike combined with the booming thunder only meant one thing. The guards raced forward, swords bared and the sounds of thick metal chains clinking together filled the prince's ears, a sound he could never forget.

The prince watched closely, his eyes never having to strain to see what was happening down below. The rain seemed to aid the guards' struggle, though it seemed the prisoner wrapped in coils did not struggle when the chains were yanked and bore into his skin.

From the distance, the observant prince couldn't see the prisoner's face, dark and long hair matted to his skin with beads tied into the thick tangles, a sure sign of a struggle. His clothes were torn and stained, though the prince wasn't sure if the dark color was blood or mud.

When the guards shouted loud over the cracking lightning for the prison gates to be opened in a hurry, the prince could only watch as the newly caught prisoner was dragged away, three swords at his throat, until the prison doors were shut and not a peep followed.

The night grew quiet once more, besides the pouring rain and angry sky, the melody was back and all the prince could do was stare at the wooden doors that had been slammed shut.

"So," he mused, leaning forward onto the railing to let his own dark hair fall over his eyes and his lips curved up into a satisfied grin. "They finally caught him."

It was a stark contrast to the current day, a bright red and orange fire, the cliffs of the kingdom that overlooked the calm ocean gave off a powerful complex. No rain in sight, no thunder splitting the sky open- only the ball of dancing fire that laid snug against the horizon was to be seen.

They used to say in old books that the wind danced with the grass and that was what made it move. Perhaps he finally understood it now, standing on the edge of the cliff where the grass tickled the part of his exposed legs, the wind blowing gentle and warm kisses to his cheeks.