The Outrider's Affection

Start from the beginning

"...he's still human, Amber. Remember that. And as humans, we can only be so strong, and we can only do so for so long. You may one day find out he may not be as perfect as you think. We all have our flaws and weaknesses, that's why we find friends and family, to cover those weakness and give us more strength. Yes, the traveler is a man like no other, but trust me, even he will have times when he needs someone to be there for him, just make sure you're in a position to support him." As she said this Jean rose from behind her desk, walking over to the young knight and placing a hand on her shoulder, reassuring her that her worries were not uncommon, but that they needed to placed into perspective.

"...Jean...thank you...I'm sorry for placing all my worries and childish thoughts on you like this. I know you have a lot more important stuff to consider than my delusions and rambling." Tears began streaming down her face as she looked at the acting grand master in awe. She didn't know those were the words she needed to hear, that even someone like her might be helpful to someone like him. But they gave her a sense of hope that she had been desperately lacking lately, rekindling a dying fire inside her.

"Here's what, take the rest of the day off today." Jean said, standing back up and making her way back behind her desk with a smile on her face.

"But how can I? I've got patrol duty, checking in on the armory then I have to help Noelle with..." Amber started listing but was immediately interrupted.

"I'll have some of the other knights pick up the slack across the board, your work will get done, do not worry." Jean really did see how much she worked and realized she needed some time to herself in order to get her thoughts in order. She wouldn't be able to work effectively anyway if she continued having all this worry and doubt weighing on her mind.

"But I can handle it Jean. You can't just give others to do my work. That wouldn't be..." Amber was sternly cut off by the Dandelion Knight as she stared down at her, a motherly and commanding tone lacing her words.

"Take the day off Amber, that's an order. Trust me, you'll thank me for it later. A little birdie may have told me that a certain someone might be returning from a long journey today and could use some relaxation themselves..." With those words Amber shut her mouth and stared at her superior.

"Wait you mean..." Amber's eye lit up and almost ended her half-finished sentence in a squeal.

"Just go." Jean smiled and shuffled for her to leave the office.

"T-thank you so so so much Jean. I really appreciate this." With that Amber bolted out of Jean's office and out the doors of the Knights of Favonius headquarters, she was far too excited at the chance to see the traveler again. Jean smirked, happy to see her young friend so happy again. Despite her cheerful demeanor and outlook on life, Jean knew she always had a lot on her mind, was always worried and had no shortage of personal baggage she'd been carrying.

How long had it been since I've last seen him? Amber thought to herself as she made her down to the plaza outside of Timaeus' alchemist shop. She was ripped from her thought to the sound of a small commotion at the front gates. She instinctively rushed over, wondering what was going on, only to be pleasantly surprised.

"Welcome back Mr. Honorary Knight and companion, it's always a pleasure to have you back in Mondtadt. Hope you had a smooth travel over here?" Lawrence stated.

"As smooth as it can be. I never can seem to go anywhere without running into the occasional Treasure Hoarder or slime." Aether answered the guards and passersby as he waved and greeted those who came to say hello.

"Seems the Knights have sent down a greeting party for you, well off you go..." Swan said as he pointed to the bunny knight standing awkwardly in front the adventurer's guild. The travelling duo made their way up to Amber as she stood there a bit in shock to see him so soon after thinking about him.