Negotiation

Dusk couldn't come earlier.

Cardan was dressed in black velvet from head to toe, the crown slightly tilted on his head. Sitting on his likewise black horse, Cardan looked even more regal.
Behind him, more than half of his army was mobilized, the soldiers ready to plunge to their deaths at the command of their King. Madoc stood in front of the troops, his eye fixated on Cardans straight back. The king who was not his king. 

Cardan looked over his shoulder to his ministers and the knights, their eyes fixed on the vast ocean in front of them. In between them, the Bomb and the Roach stood, nodding to him. Hidden in plain sight.
Cardan looked back to the still ocean, not a wave lingering in all of its vastness. Yet the calm ocean seemed to cause havoc in his heart. Every minute was more dreadful than the next.

Where are you? Are you well? 

Do you think of me, as I think of you?

Then he felt it. The soft vibration of something moving below the Isle, towards them.
Nobody seemed to feel it. They all stood still, barely breathing, barely muttering. Even the soft wind seemed to lay still, ceasing its kisses on Cardan's cheek —Like the kiss he once felt from the one whose lungs were likely drowned.

Suddenly, bubbles formed on the water. His instincts proved to be right. He noticed that, ever since being crowned king, he felt the force of nature more intensely. He sensed rainfall a week ahead, like hope was flourishing throughout the land. He felt the growing of grass like soft tickles on his palms. And he felt dizzy when he saw flowers bloom bigger and brighter in his presence, as if flattered by him. And so, he detected the ocean current change, like a force was moving towards them, threatening the King of the Land. As if whispering „Beware."

The bubbles on the surface became fiercer, the seafolk appearing any moment from now.
The Bomb and the Roach looked at each other, heightening their senses.  They felt the rush of excitement, of danger, rushing through their veins. Gazing upon Cardan's back, they knew they were ready to risk their lives for him.

Finally, the tip of a crown was starting to become visible as the seafolk emerged from the water. Cardan tightened his grip on his horses lead. He watched the emerging queen closely, who displayed a genuine smirk. 

Hatred. Hatred was what he felt for her in that moment. He was no killer, but perhaps he would do an exception.

For you I would. For you I would kill, Jude. 

Behind Queen Orlagh, Nicasia emerged, and behind her, a couple of soldiers. Barely 10. She was making a mockery of Cardan, who stood with half of his army mobilized. She knew she had the upper hand.

"King Cardan. You came."

"I wouldn't miss out on the opportunity to see your face, Queen" Cardan answered back. The sarcasm couldn't be more obvious in his voice, and still queen Orlaghs smirk stayed on her face.

"Now that you are here, I demand my Seneschals return. Immediately." his voice was hard. 

"My, my, aren't we impatient." Queen Orlaghs voice was hideous. She turned her head to Nicasia who chuckled under her breath. 

"I would like nothing more than to do that, but you see High King, I cannot."

A game. She was playing a game, and she wanted Cardan to ask and beg. Cardan felt Madoc's angry growl behind him. Cardan felt the same way. Furious that he didn't guard Jude better. That he let himself be swept by mere feelings and getting abhorrently drunk instead of keeping an eye on her, keeping her safe. But for her, he wouldn't mind playing yet another game. For her he realized, he wouldn't mind begging. Let them think she was important to him, so no more harm would come their way.