"Why?" 

I blinked. "Because I was scared she liked me too much. Whenever she got too close, made me feel things, I'd pick a fight. But then I'd feel horrible without her and I'd pull her back in. I was a dick." 

"Sí," he nodded, cleaning up the glasses. 

"I didn't want her to like me. I thought it would ruin our friendship." 

"Are you still friends?" 

"I hope so." 

"Pero..." But... "Don't you like her?" he asked. 

"Of course, I like her. I like... love her maybe. I'm like... crazy about her. It's like... insane. I like... miss her." 

"Entonces," he sighed, thinking. So... "Now you are not worried? About ruining the friendship?" 

I stayed quiet. 

"Because now you want more than just a friend... no? You love her, no?" 

"Maybe?" I shrugged. "But I can't—" 

"Shh!" he hissed, glancing behind me. 

I spun the barstool around, spotting Emilia as she walked over. I took the first look around the banquet hall in a while and realized it was mostly empty. Everybody was leaving or already gone. 

She stopped in front of me, sighing. "You've been drinking all night, Adam." 

"So?" I mumbled, holding her gaze. 

"So, the party's over. Come on, let's go." 

"I made a friend," I told her, glancing at the bartender. 

"Yeah? What's his name?" 

I came up blank. 

"Matteo," he answered. 

She shook her head at me. "Thanks for keeping him company." 

"No problem," he replied. 

She turned her attention back to me. "Let's go, come on." She held out a hand, wiggling her fingers. 

"Will you be nice or pick another fight?" I frowned, taking her hand and standing up, stumbling. 

Sighing, she steadied me. "I think if I pick a fight, you might cry. So, I'll be nice. Promise." I grinned, chuckling, and put my arms around her, pulling her in. She let out a breath and patted my back a few times before rubbing it quickly. "Come on," she persisted, sounding a bit irritated now. "I can't carry you, don't go limp on me. Walk with me." 

I walked with her, almost tripping every few steps. Eventually, we reached the elevator, then our room. I went and sat by the coffee table, closing my eyes, feeling exhaustion and sleep hit me. 

"I'm going to change and be right back, okay? Don't fall asleep. Adam." 

I hummed but I was already dozing off. I was falling asleep just sitting in the chair. My chin was dipping down, my head hanging in the air as I took even breaths and my eyes remained shut. My blazer was already off from the bar and I carried it before draping it on the arm of the chair. I was halfway out of my senses, I was practically asleep, but I could hear her when she came out and walked to her side of the bed.