Chapter 27: Wasn't Expecting

ابدأ من البداية

"Your dad told me the university is thinking about taking Charles back on the team," Everett finally said. He turned to look at me and frowned. "That was why I kissed you. That was why I trained alone. I should have asked you before I kissed you like that. I understand that. But I needed some kind of distraction, and you came as soon as I heard the news."

I rose my eyebrows in shock. Dad never mentioned this news to me. After all we talked about, I thought something like this would be address. Why would dad even think about that idea when he knew just as much as Everett did how bad of a person Charles was.

"After what he did?"

He nodded as he threw a pebble across the lot in frustration. "Guess the university cares more about winning than anything else."

I stood up from the ground and offered my hand to him. "We need to talk to dad about this." If any one had power, dad could do something. We just needed to talk to him about it.

Everett shook his head as he remained sitting against the car. "Do you think your father has any say in this? He doesn't like it as much as I do. But he can't do anything about it. It's all because of the university."

"He has to have some power."

"And I trust that he's used it. But OSU is a big 10 member. They have goals. They want to win, and they know how good of a player Charles is."

The statement caused a frown to appear as I started to pace the length of the car. There had to be answers out there. Dad couldn't sit back as something like this happened. I couldn't sit back. "But what if the rest of the team refuses to work with them?"

"Won't happen. They are either afraid of him or like him. If he comes back on the team, it would be like he never left. There is a reason why he continues to be around the parties and players."

"Had dad told anyone else about the news?" I asked as I stopped to face him again.

Everett shook his head. "No because I guess it's not certain. He doesn't want to cause drama just yet. I was the first he told."

"Ok, that's a good sign. Obviously they are having dad take baby steps on this. Maybe they need a reaction before they stop this."

He shrugged in silence as he stared at the ground. I felt like my ideas were falling on deaf ears.

"Take my damn hand, Everett," I commanded him as I held out my hand again.

This time he took it, bringing himself up with my help.

"Being alone in something like this will not help. If we are going to fight against this, you need a team."

He nodded as he tucked a strand of hair behind my ear. "Thanks," he muttered to the ground.

He was still distracted, just allowing himself to worry alone. But that would not solve anything. He needed to think of something else, and I could help him with that.

I smiled at him as I pulled him closer, then kissed him. "Of course."

"What about it being memorable?" Everett asked with worry.

"That was memorable."

Breaking us from our moment was Rick's voice. "Hey, what's up, guys?" Rick asked as he walked up to us.

Everett frowned, not liking him intruding in our moment. As much as I didn't like it either, I knew Rick was waiting for a reaction. He liked toying with Everett because he gave him those reactions. I couldn't play into that game.

"Nothing much. And you?" I asked, trying to be polite.

"Nothing much. Wait, so are you two dating?"

I was about to speak up when Everett stepped in front of me protectively. "Leave it, Rick," Everett growled.

Rick took a step back with a frown. "Wow, didn't see that one coming. Nora, I thought you could do better."

That comment rubbed me the wrong way and suddenly my politeness vanished. "Like you?"

Rick shrugged as if the answer was simple. "Don't see why not."

"Get the hell out of here," Everett said as he pushed him, causing Rick to fall to the ground.

Quickly, Rick scrambled to his feet. He looked at us one more time before he ran off without another word.

"Well, I guess the team will know now," I said as I watched him run off.

"Let them know," Everett shrugged as he turned back to me. "Anyhow, I have to go."

"Will we talk more about the issue later?"

"Yeah, sure." With that, he kissed my cheek then left me alone to wait for dad.

It didn't take dad long to come to the car. By then, my anger towards the sport grew so much that I wanted nothing more than to take it out on him. But I couldn't. I had to be tactful on the subject.

Dad unlocked the car with a smile, unaware of the storm brewing in my mind. "You should have told me the car was locked."

I got into the car with a shrug. Now it made sense why he wouldn't answer my question before. "I talked to Everett."

"You know?" he asked as he turned the car on.

I nodded. "My only question is, why? Why would the university do this?"

"The university wants to win and they believe we won't without Charles," dad said as he drove down the road to get home.

"And that is why you have been trying so hard to bring the team together, to work through this. You have known about this for a while, haven't you?"

Dad chewed on his mustache for a moment before speaking up. "I've known since the start of training that this could be a possibility."

"Isn't there something you can do?"

He shook his head. "I did as much as I could do without tossing my career in the air."

I frowned as I stared down the road. Just the news about him possibly returning sent him into a spiral. Bringing him back would be the end of Everett, I could already see that much. "This is going to destroy him."

"I know," he said as we let silence fill the car. "But you know, if there is a way to stop it, I am sure you will find a way."

My attention turned to him with a nod. "You know me well." We were silent again until I spoke. "Rick found us together. The team is going to know about us by tomorrow."

"Well, that happened a little quicker than I thought. Are you ready for the gossip to follow?"

I frowned at the thought of another thing I would have to deal with. Couldn't I just have one issue at a time? "I didn't know there would be gossip."

"You're the coach's daughter. Some of the guys have crushes on you so of course, there will be gossip."

"Like who?"

He grinned. "Isn't it obvious?" 

"Rick? Ha, very funny."

"That's just one of them." 

"Their lost."

"Exactly."

"Well, I guess I have to face it eventually."

"Guess you do."