Chapter 23: He Misses You

Start from the beginning

"You better be there. But I'll keep you updated over the weekend just in case you miss anything special." - Tad

We both knew what he meant by special, and it wasn't related to the plays. "You're the best."

"I know I am. But please feel better soon! I'll miss you." - Tad

A smile crossed my face as I reread the message. He missed me. That meant we were real friends. "I'll miss you too." With that, I got up from the floor and slowly shuffled my feet back to my room, hoping I wouldn't have to run to the toilet soon.

I snuggled into my bed and pulled the blankets around my body as I shivered. Since I barely slept at all during the night, it took me only a second to fall back to sleep.

By the time I opened my eyes again, I had at least five messages from Tad. It was only midafternoon, but he wasted no time giving me all the tea. I rubbed my eyes to clear my fuzzy vision and read the messages. 

<>

"Wishing you were here." - Tad

The photo attached was a group photo in front of the bus.

The next item sent was a video which I played, watching Tad go around the bus full of guys talking about me.

"So, tell the camera what you just said Shelly," Tad's voice rang out as the camera pointed towards Shelly who sat on the bus.

He smiled at the camera. "I wish Nora was here. It's not the same without her."

"I can second that," Ethan said as he popped his head over a seat behind Shelly's.

"I would echo that as well. Nora, you are amazing. Feel better soon," Rick said with a smile as he took the camera away from Tad.

Tad quickly took the camera back and flipped it over to Everett. "Everett, have anything to say?" Tad asked.

Everett looked at the camera and frowned, furrowing his eyebrows in silence. His eyes were dark, unreadable, and the evidence of his scuffle with Charles was quickly fading. By next week, it probably would be completely healed.

Tad waited a second before flipping the camera back to himself. "Everett misses you too. He's just a man of few words, you know how it is. Anyhow, we miss you and hope to see you soon."

With that, the video ended.

"Everett misses you. He might not say it but I can see it." - Tad

But the thing was, Tad was confusing hate for missing. Everett probably hated me after I said nothing. Now it was his turn to say nothing to me, and to be honest, that upset me more than I wanted to admit. My insides curled in pain, but this time it wasn't because of the food poisoning. I knew as soon as he drove away that night, I made a mistake and now I wasn't sure if there was a way to make it better.

"Looks like a fun drive. Thanks for the photos. I'm bummed I'm not here," I texted Tad as I felt my stomach lurch.

I jumped out of bed and ran into the bathroom again, losing stomach acid in the toilet. My throat burnt as I sat on the floor, wishing sleep would take hold of me.

By time I found the strength to stand, chills wracked my body.

Forcing myself forward, I poured some orange juice. Almost instantly, those chills were replaced by extreme heat. I put the glass of orange juice up to my cheek to cool me off, then downed it, hoping I wouldn't throw it up.

Distracting me was a text from my phone which I looked at almost instantly.

"Heyo! Dad here. How are you?" - Dad

I responded quickly so he wouldn't worry. He had a game to focus on, his food poisoned daughter should be the least of his concerns. 

My phone buzzed again with a text from mom telling me she was on her way home and asked if I wanted anything. I responded telling her there was nothing I needed.

When mom came home, she found me sitting on the couch, shivering with blankets wrapped around my shoulders. 

The sun was starting to set and over the course of the day, I managed to throw up everything that went down my throat, including water. I was starting to believe this wasn't food poisoning but the flu.

Mom looked at me with worry clear on her face. Her suit coat told me that her errands involved more legal activities than what a normal errand run would be. "How are you feeling?"

Like death, but I didn't want to be dramatic. "This isn't food poisoning. I think I have the flu."

She nodded with a frown. "Have you eaten anything at all today?"

I shook my head. "Haven't been able to keep anything down."

Her frown deepened. "How about water?"

I shook my head as I thought about how it all went through me almost instantly. "Not even water."

"I'm going to take your temperature," she said as she disappeared into the house, only to return a second later with a thermometer in hand.

"So, how were your errands?"

She sighed as she placed the thermometer in my mouth. "Tiring. Your father gets stressed with the social events and outings, so I step in place for him. But I didn't expect to be gone all day." She took the thermometer out as it beeped. "102.9... Nora... that's high. Have you taken anything for this?"

I shook my head. I had barely enough energy to get to the bathroom, there was no energy in me to find medicine.

"Don't worry, I'll get some for you. But Nora, if this doesn't clear by tomorrow...."

I frowned, knowing what she was implying. "Well, let's hope it goes away by tomorrow."

She nodded as she cupped my cheek, then left to find medication.