Chapter 22: J-Walking Is A Crime

Start from the beginning

<>

"Who said I was skipping?" he winked.

I rolled my eyes. Of course, he wouldn't admit it. Maybe he learned to be smarter than Charles to get caught. "I'm skipping," I added, as if that would coax him to spill.

"You're a rebel now."

"Guess I am." We let silence fill the air as I watched the two people on the other side of the road and wait for Rick. "Who are your friends?" I asked as I pointed to them.

"Their not that important."

I looked at his neck that had evidence of the girl's lipstick on it. Obviously, they were more important than he would admit. "Yeah, ok. Well, I think the girl is missing you."

He glanced at her before turning his attention back to me. "Nah, she'll be fine. She's with Charles and he'll give her enough attention."

I looked over at the dark-haired man who was short, shorter than I would have guess, but his strong build made up for his height. 

He made eye contact with me and gave a smile that made my hair stand on end. There was something in his eyes that told me he thought of me as nothing more than an item. He was bad news, and I didn't have to talk to him to know that.

"The ex-player on the team?" I asked.

Rick nodded. "Want to say hello? I can introduce you."

Even though my hands were sweaty, I forced a smile to come to my lips. I wanted to meet the person that caused so much damage for myself. "I would love to meet him."

"I'll call him over," he said as he waved to Charles.

Charles nodded as he hurried across the road, making a car stop in front of him, blaring its horn in frustration.

I eyed him from head to toe as he closed the gap between us. He walked like he owned the place. That was something Everett and him had in common. "You know, J-walking is a crime here."

Charles shrugged as he stuffed his hands in his pockets. "I'll take my chances."

"So Charles, this is Nora Orban."

His eyebrows rose in realization of who I was. Suddenly I was more interesting than just a friend of Rick's. I was the daughter of the coach that got him kicked off the team. "Coach's daughter?"

"The one and only," I said although I wasn't. Sorry Vera.

"It's nice to meet you."

I nodded. "Nice to meet you, too."

"Nora is her dad's intern this year," Rick explained. 

Charles smiled. "Nepotism at its finest." 

"I'm not getting paid to be there," I snapped, getting defensive. 

He rose his hands as he took a step back. "Just calling it as I see it." 

My cheeks turned hot as I bit my tongue. I shouldn't engage. He was just looking for a fight. 

"So, you replaced Eve."

Eve. The name bounced around my mind like a ball in an empty room. It didn't sound familiar, but yet I felt it should. Who was she and why hadn't I heard about her before?

Rick shook his head. "No, she's the coaches' intern. She helps run copies and training drills. Stuff like that."

I wanted to ask about Eve but knew this wasn't the group of people to ask. That name was meant to be asked to the right people like Tad.