chapter five - lightweight

Comenzar desde el principio

Liam was tipsy, Finn realized as he got closer. It was easy to see. His flushed face lit up when Finn walked over, beckoning his friend closer with an excited shout. "Finn! You came!"

"Hey, Li," he said, raising his voice to be heard over the jostling music. "Started without me?"

It didn't take another two seconds for him to notice Ashton. The pretty boy with the captivating blue eyes was standing just over Liam's shoulder, and he sidled closer when he caught sight of Finn. A pleased smile tugged at the corners of his mouth, an unspoken sort of greeting.

Liam was quick to introduce them. His eyes sparkled with excitement, only somewhat enhanced by the two beers he had already downed. "This is Ashton --"

Finn returned his smile easily, warm and kind. His gaze lingered on Ashton just a second too long before his focus flicked back to Liam. "Yeah, we've actually met --"

"-- and he's gay!"

Ashton gaped at him. Finn snorted, not even a bit surprised.

"You're gay! And he's gay, too!" Liam cheered, reaching out to shake Finn's shoulders. Then he froze, like he was only just realizing that Finn was really there. He pulled the curly-haired boy in for a crushing hug, squeezing him so tightly that he squeaked. "Finn. Holy shit, Finn, I'm so glad you're back. I missed you so much. You have no idea."

"I think my bruised ribs are getting the idea," Finn grunted even as he awkwardly hugged Liam back. "How much have you had to drink, anyway?"

"Not much. I'm done for the night, though. Now I've just got to dance this off so I don't wake up hungover." He finally released Finn from the hug, asking excitedly, "Dance with me?"

"No, no. Not yet. I need some alcohol in my system before I start throwing any crazy shapes."

"I've seen you throw crazy shapes completely sober."

"Not tonight." He made eye contact with Ashton again, eying his empty hands. "You look like you need a drink, too. Where's the bar?"

Ashton cocked his head to the right. "This way. Come on, I'll show you."

Finn squeezed Liam's shoulder one more time, then nodded to Ashton. "Lead the way."

He stuck as close to Ashton as possible. He had a habit of worrying about getting lost in crowds. If it were Liam or Dylan, he wouldn't hesitate to take hold of the back of their shirt -- but he didn't have that sort of relationship with Ashton yet. He didn't want his new friend to think that he was completely incapable of being independent.

Just as he nearly got knocked aside by an extremely tall (and very drunk) woman, Ashton glanced back over his shoulder with a sly smile. He had to raise his voice to be heard over the music and the chatter: "Look at me. Showing you around in your own hometown."

Finn rolled his eyes -- hoping Ashton wouldn't see the telling blush on his cheeks. He wasn't even tipsy yet, so he couldn't blame the flush on the alcohol.

They squeezed their way up to the bar together, and Ashton waved a hand to get the bartender's attention. "Blue Moon," he ordered for himself. His bright blue eyes found Finn's face even through the dim light, and he asked him, "Drink?"

"Lemon drop," Finn ordered, paying the bartender with one of his sparkling smiles. "Did you enjoy our personal pride announcement?"

"Yeah, I mean . . . like, what the fuck, but yeah. Enjoyable."

"There weren't a lot of people out of the closet when we were in high school," Finn explained. He glanced back at Liam, his eyes fond. "Liam was my shameless wingman for a long time."