三一

═════════════════════════

SOLITUDE

Yachiru trudged her way through the barren landscape of Jigoku; sand easily creeping its way into her sandals. It was an uncomfortable feeling, and she found herself intermittently taking them off to shake out the gathering haul. From what she knew, Jigoku comprised of four layers. The top layer, where she was, and the final layer; where the most cruel and rotten of cursed spirits resided. Yachiru first had to locate a specific spirit on the top layer, in order to find out more about the tantō.

Yet, it was much easier said than done. She was beginning to grow impatient. There was nothing to see for miles, except for the odd rotting tree every so often. It felt as though she was going in circles, and the task seemed truly indefinite.

Yachiru sighed, she was growing tired.

She wasn't worn out from travelling — no, she was tired of waiting. Life was currently filled with such uncertainty; she could not see an end to this entire ordeal. It had been around two weeks since Gojo was sealed, yet it felt like forever. She thought she would be used to it, but nothing could rid her soul of the crushing weight that was doubt.

Doubt that told her it was over, that the situation had gotten too out of hand to expect any sort of happy ending. Yes, there would be major losses. There was little anyone could do to prevent this; sacrifices would have to be made to achieve the higher goal.

It wasn't fair, she would say. Why had they been put in this situation? Her fingers would occasionally curl into fists in anger. She wondered what this type of emotion was called, rage and sadness combined.

Yachiru was possessed by anguish. She was suffering, yet there was no one to relieve her of such feelings. No, she was the adult in this situation; one of the only remaining adults that those kids could rely on for help.

But she needed someone too. She had gone through just as much, for a moment, she wanted to give up.

The unpredictable nature of the situation left her not knowing what might happen next, something that left her with great discomfort.

She wondered for a moment if she was being punished. It seemed like everything around her started to crumble when she had entered the land of the living, and while she knew it wasn't her fault, she couldn't help but experience a guilty conscience.

'Stop feeling sorry for yourself. You're driving me insane.' Izanami bit, not wanting to deal with such a pathetic attitude.

"Whatever. Didn't you say Ema-ō would be around here?" She asked, becoming impatient with the old spirit. Izanami had told her a while back that the overseer of Jigoku, Ema-ō, would be roaming around on the first layer. She would have to first consult with him on the whereabouts of the tantō before continuing.