CHAPTER 33: APOLOGY

Start from the beginning

"God, he is so damn annoying. What exactly did he say?"
At her question, I grew somber. "I kind of
told him that we all need comforting sometimes and he shouldn't have to deal with it alone. But he got really angry and told me to stay in my limits. And he yelled at me to leave."

"What. An. Ungrateful. Bastard," Maddie
growled.

"Maddie! Watch your language," Lena
scolded.

"'I'm serious, Mom. How dare he? Ayla
helped him, and this is how he treats her?"

"We all know how he is. Alessio doesn't like the attention. Or comfort. He doesn't do well with emotions." Lena placed a comforting hand on my back.

"I know," I whispered.
Maddie still looked angry. "Maybe you
should have just left his hands bloody so they would get infected. He sure as hell deserves it. Asshole."

Maddie! Enough!" Lena reprimanded her
loudly.
"Fine!" She crossed her arms against her
chest. Lena gave her a glare, but it didn't look threatening at all. I didn't think she could ever look angry, even she tried hard.

After giving Maddie another serious look, she turned to me and palmed my cheek. "Don't take Alessio too seriously. He is like that to everyone. Give him some time," she said softly, before smiling and then walking out of
the kitchen.

As soon as Lena was out of sight, Maddie started swearing. "That little fucker. He is lucky I wasn't there. I would have sucker punched him for talking like that to you. Asshole. Jerk"

She kept going, moving around the kitchen almost furiously. She slammed a plate full of breakfast on a tray and then made a glass of protein while I stood there watching her rage.

When Maddie was done, she pushed the tray in my hand.
"Go give that him," she ordered.
Was she crazy? Why would she send me
back to the lion's den?

"What? No."I pushed the tray back.

"Nuh-uh, girl. You are going up there and
giving him his breakfast. And you are going to act like nothing happened."

When I didn't move, she sighed arnd her
shoulders dropped. "Considering how long I have known him, I'm pretty sure he is feeling guilty right now. So you are going to go up there and make him feel guiltier and shitty about himself. Yeah?"

"Maddie"

"Trust me. He will probably even apologize. But you are going to act nonchalant and walk away. Understood? Make. Him. Feel. Guilty,"
she huffed.

I tried to shake my head but she was
already talking over me. "Ayla, you are too sweet for your own good. Which makes it much worse. You didn't deserve how he treated you. So, humor me, okay? Please."

"No," I snapped.
Maddie threw her hands in the air in
frustration.

"Maddie, I don't want to hurt him. He is
angry and doesn't want to see me," I replied.

"And that's where you are wrong. Alessio
wants to see you. He let you play the piano, for God's sake. It means something. It means a
lot. He is just frustrated at himself and that's why he took it out on you," Maddie explained in a rush. "I know him, Ayla. Just do as I tell you and everything will be good"

"But-"
Maddie shook her head. "No. You are
getting late. Go give Alessio his breakfast." When I didn't move, she gently pushed me toward the door. "Go. And good Iluck! You can do this."

As I slowly walked out of the kitchen, I
heard Maddie call out behind me, "'ll be
waiting here for you."

"Okay," I muttered, my voice trembling.
I passed by Nikolay and Viktor as I made
my way upstairs. The tiny hairs on the back of my neck prickled as I felt their stares on my back, but I kept my gaze down, purposely avoiding them.