5: Until I Met You

Start from the beginning

On the first Friday of the school year, Olivia mentioned that every weekend she usually went into town to check out the new books before heading down to the beach stand for lunch and had actually invited me to come with her.

After agreeing, thinking that it would be good to do something with a friend for a change, I met her at the book store just before noon and we actually did have fun that day. I ended up buying a new book that would become a great asset to my never-ending collection while Olivia actually splurged and decided to buy two detective books she’s been dying to read.

Once we left the book store, we took the short trip down to the beach to grab lunch and talked on the way there. Since we didn’t know all that much about each other yet, the conversation never really hit a dull point as we both had something to say most of the time.

It was weird talking about my personal life and hobbies with someone other than my mom but, it wasn’t necessarily a bad thing, in fact, it actually felt kind of good letting somebody else in.

As we reached the beach stand, I had a hard time choosing what to order, but after a few moments of thought, I decided to try the poutine and it ended up being really good. The owners of the stand had made their own gravy and used freshly cut potato fries, which made the poutine that much more delicious.

Thinking about how much fun I experienced last weekend with just a simple trip to the book store and an afternoon lunch, it made me kind of sad that I didn’t have any plans for the upcoming weekend.

It was currently Friday afternoon and I had just finished my second week of school at Crestview. Olivia, who I thought would want to hang out again, was going away for the weekend to see her grandmother in the next town over. When she asked if I wanted her to come home early on Sunday so we could hang out I graciously declined and told her that she should spend the time she had with her family.

So now, as I walked into the entrance of my house just after three ‘o’clock, I realized that I was in for quite a boring weekend.

Slipping off my flip-flops at the door, I carried my school bag up the stairs and into my room before dropping it beside my desk. My teachers had given me quite a load of homework for the weekend and I wanted to get started as soon as possible instead of waiting until the last possible minute on Sunday.

Sitting down at my desk, I took out my calculus binder and textbook before flipping to the correct page. Staring at the page in front of me, I sighed and got started on the multiple problems I had been assigned.

After a half an hour or so of working, I had just finished my calculus homework and was going to start my English journal when I heard the front door open and close downstairs.

Figuring it was my mom, I didn’t think anything of it as I started to write, but after only a minute of writing about my favourite book, I heard a voice calling me downstairs.

“Jessalyn, would you come downstairs for a minute?” my mom asked, her voice carried throughout the entire house.

Putting down the pen I had been using, I stood up from my chair and brought my arms over my head to stretch my slightly cramped muscles before replying to my mom.