Chapter 2

The next day Amanda woke up and her room was dark, she rubbed her eyes and got up and looked at the window. It was covered with snow. She shivered and walked to her wardrobe and put on the warmest clothes that she could find and ran downstairs to Jill's office, she knocked on the door. "Come in." Jill said. Amanda opened the door, " Jill, are we snowed in?" She asked, sitting down on one of the chairs in front of her desk. "Yes, I'm afraid so, which means Mathew can't come in this morning I'm afraid to say. He phoned me to apologize." Amanda looked down at the desk and started to play with one of Jill's pens, "Oh" she said, "Well thanks anyway Jill." Jill smiled, "There's some hot tea waiting for you at breakfast, if you go now maybe you can sneak an extra cup" she said with a wink. Amanda got up and smiled "Thanks Jill." Amanda went out of the office and down the hall to the breakfast room, she helped herself to breakfast and a cup of tea, it was too early for the other children to have woken up yet. Then she poured herself another cup of tea and went to her room to indulge herself in her books, and what seemed a few hours later she heard a familiar voice, "Apparently I can take her home now, then complete the forms by next month..." Amanda immediately sat up, "ohmigosh" she whispered. "Amanda?" came the voice again, "Come in!" She shouted. Mathew opened the door and walked in. "I heard everything" Amanda said eagerly. Mathew laughed, "Well, these halls do echo quite a bit." "How did you get here? Jill told me it was snowed in" Amanda asked, Mathew pointed to the window, "The weather changed earlier and some of the snow has melted, they've cleared the streets already" Amanda looked to the window, then to her pile of books, "Oh, silly me, I was reading so much that I haven't noticed!" she said surprised. Mathew walked over to Amanda and sat down on the window sill, "Do you want to come home with me, today? " Amanda looked at him, "Of course!" She exclaimed and began to run around the room, putting all her belongings on her bed to be packed up, it didn't take that long, she didn't have many belongings. "I'm ready now" she said enthusiastically, "Ok, ok, I just have to sort a few things out with Jill then we can leave" He said. Amanda sat down and waited for Mathew for it seemed like hours. Just as she was about to get up and go to the office herself, Mathew returned. "Come Amanda" he said. Amanda took one last look at her room, picked up her bag and followed Mathew and Jill to the taxi outside, "Goodbye Amanda" Jill said, giving her a hug "I'm happy for you." Amanda smiled at her and got in the car, and waved to her as the car drove away, further and further from the orphanage.