Chapter Forty: Heavy Is the Crown

Ash moves around, fighting Roan. The sounds of metal clang through the room. It is easy for Ash to avoid his attacks. Roan is still slow and not as steady as he should be. There is an opening, but Ash doesn't take it.

"Don't go easy," Roan orders. Ash knocks the sword out of his hand, pointing the end at his neck. He knocks it out of her hand, leaving both disarmed. She dodges one of his attacks, tripping him. As he turns onto his back, she pins him down. Her short hair that have fallen from the ponytail frame her face.

"Then I would actually hurt you," she tells him. "You need to rest."

He quickly shifts, rolling over. He switches their positions, pinning her to the ground.

"I am fine," he tells her. He hesitates for a moment, staring her down for a moment. 

"Get off of me," she laughs. He stands up before pulling her to her feet. There is a smirk on his face. He goes to say something as the doors swing open. Marcus, Octavia, Echo, and Abby all enter. Roan quickly returns to his brooding self. Trying to maintain the image of a stoic king. Honestly Ash hates when this happens. He acts like the world is expecting some version of him and a single slip up means history hating him. 

And maybe he really feels this way. His mother was a bitch that didn't care about him. The culture he was raised in pretty much teaches any form of weakness is disgraceful. And now he is trying to rule as a king with no guidance and maintain a fragile alliance that can shatter at any point.

Ash picks up her sword while Roan takes his place on the throne. 

"Rafel intends to challenge you," Octavia states. Rafel is the Trishanakru ambassador who is very vocal about his opinions. He is a newer ambassador, but thinks he is the only one who has the right to speak. A strong warrior though.

"Is it because of us?" Ash asks as she sits on the steps to the throne.

"Of course it is," Echo hisses. "All this is Skaikru's fault."

"Echo," Roan snaps. She falls silent. Everyone in the room have been slowly turning into Roan's council, though Echo still despises them. She's just less vocal about it now. Roan looks at the others. "Then I will accept his challenge."

"You're not healed enough," Abby speaks up. "You need more time to rest."

"At least let me speak to him," Marcus offers. "Maybe I can convince him to not do this."

"You can try," Roan responds. Octavia then speaks.

"And if he doesn't accept?" 

Ash meets her father's eyes before speaking up. "So then I will fight in place of the king."

"He would seem weak," Echo informs her. "The Coalition is already falling apart. They will turn on him and Azgeda."

"Yet they refused to turn on their queen when she sent her son to fight the commander!"

The moment the words left her lips, Ash knew she fucked up. The room falls silent for a moment.

"I will fight," he declares. "End of discussion."

Marcus bows his head in respect and quickly leaves. The others follow suit until only Ash and Roan remain.

"I shouldn't have said that," she mutters.

"No. You have every right to speak your mind."

"I just don't understand why they would follow that bitch but not treat you the same respect, even though you care about everyone."

He has a small smirk, shaking his head. "My mother was the ideal Ice Queen."

"Cold and heartless like the fairytale," she muses. Roan walks over to sit beside her on the step.

"Possibly. Not fully sure what that story is about."

"Remind me to find you a copy."

"Gladly."

Ash stands up and pick up the crown sitting on the armrest of the throne. It has a bit of weight to it. Roan walks up beside her. His fingers brush against hers as he takes the crown back. He looks at it, almost contemplating the worth of the item. 

"I am still surprised at the fact I am king now," he tells her in a hushed voice. "And also leading the entire Coalition."

She quickly turn to fully face him.

"That is why I should fight for you. There is no one to take the throne after you."

"No one that would honor our treaty," he corrects. Her face heats up and turns red. "That is why I needed to talk to you." He looks a bit unsure of himself, but still trying to keep a stoic look. "I propose a political alliance through marriage."

Her jaw visibly drops. "A what?"

"Purely for political means," he quickly tells her. "But with you as queen of Azgeda it is guaranteed that they will remain allied with Skaikru."

"First off, we have only known each other for a few months. And yes I know plenty of political marriages happened for less, but still. And second, even if I say yes, Azgeda would never accept me as a queen."

Roan just listens to her rant as she process this.

"Just consider this," he tells her. With that, he leaves her alone in the throne room by herself. That fucking ass. He can't just drop something like that on her. Her brain is running a million miles as she goes to her chambers. Almost like it is trying to weigh the pros and cons of the proposal. But her mind always goes back to one reason why she can't accept it. Bellamy. 

It has been a couple days since they have seen each other, but they talk over the radio often. And how was she supposed to explain this to him without him blowing up at the king? She may have to prevent a regicide if he finds out. Part of her thinks she shouldn't tell him, but she knows that when he finds out, it would just be so much worse of a reaction. 

And then there is the logical part of her brain saying she should accept the offer. A stronger alliance between the two clans could make it easier to prevent war. Plus there are worse people to be married to. Plus he said it would be purely for political means. Which could mean that they never actually would have to do anything she doesn't want. He is in general the type to respect her wishes when it would come to that. But she still don't want to think like that. 

All of it seems insane to think about and she has no one to talk to about it. She tells Abby, her father would know. Octavia maybe, but she would not be the best for that advice. Also would be weird since Ash has slept with her older brother. Marcus is for sure not to talk to about it. And Echo would probably try to kill her for even considering it. The one person she could possibly talk to is Clarke, but she probably won't see her for a while.

Letting out a soft groan of frustration, she plops on her beds. The soft furs encapsulating her. Maybe she can just stay here until everything is figured out. Or until Praimfaya complete consumes her. Either way just as long as she doesn't have to think about this any more. She rolls over and try to put it out of her mind. Her fingers grasp the walkie talkie on the table next to her.

"Bellamy?" she talks into it. 

There is a moment of silence before a response. "Hey Ash. You okay?"

A sense of calm washes over her as she puts her thoughts away for a moment.

"Yeah. Just wanted to talk. But if you're busy, we can later."

"No. I'm free."

The two just talk for almost an hour. Nothing big or important, just talking. Something they haven't actually done in a long time.